Chapter 10: Peopleaphobia

-Chapter 10-

I couldn't fall asleep.

In the darkness of my bedroom I held my forty remaining dollars towards the ceiling. I should have given my father back his change, but I had been in such a hurry to hide my clothes, and now it was a good thing I hadn't.

I just had to allocate ten dollars.

Just ten.

I glanced at my alarm clock.

11:58 P.M.

My heart was thundering. It was deafening. Marie's words had struck fear in me.

I had to pay up, or she would tell Mother about the boys. And what's more, Marie had said the boys were trying to take advantage of me.

Her sisterly warning had kept me from visiting Kota tonight. He had wanted to help me set up my schedule, but I wasn't sure I could look at him without the ugly question popping out of my mouth.

Were they trying to take advantage of me?

I threw my pillow over my head and screamed. I hate this! I thought I might possibly have friends, but Marie's theory seemed a whole hell of a lot more likely. Mother always is telling me what men are really like. This was my fault! I ignored her because I liked...

I shook my head, but it did nothing for me.

I liked the way Luke took my hand and winked at me. Hell, if I had more courage, I would have let him give me a piggyback ride, but I was afraid...

I wasn't ready to be flush against his body like that. Girls weren't supposed to press themselves up on boys. Only sluts did that.

Touch was bad, in all senses.

Anytime Mother touched me it was unpleasant, and Father, too.

...But when Victor put a finger beneath my chin at the mall...it wasn't unpleasant. He didn't jerk my face. He was soft and kind.

And I liked how Kota always looked at me like he was really listening when I spoke.

And Gabriel was my hero. He always caught me when I fell, and today at the mall I noticed he would catch my hair between his fingers every chance he got. I...wished he would pet me.

It was weird to think, but it was true.

I wanted Gabriel to just draw me into a hug and hold me tightly. He could pet my hair and call me Trouble all he wanted.

But I was too skittish for something like that. It was wrong to even think.

I couldn't keep calm if the boys got too much closer anyway. They would figure out something was wrong with me. We would have to move.

It was better if this friendship ended now.

That realization calmed my racing heart. This was good. New beginnings. No friends.

All I had to do was lose myself in my books for two years and then this nightmare was over.

Ten dollars to find,

Two years to go,

And then I was free.

***

I woke up to pounding on my bedroom door. "Wake up or you'll miss the bus!" came Marie's muffled voice.

I jumped out of bed and threw on my clothes, grabbing a handful of notebooks before racing out of the house after Marie.

The yellow school bus was just pulling up to the curb as we hurried down the driveway.

Luckily, we weren't the only ones running late.

A guy with red hair came sprinting down the road and ducked into the bus right behind me. "Whew!" He huffed.

I found an empty seat and he slid in after me. Shoot, what if Marie saw? Would she think...

Marie had found a place beside the girl I had seen at the mall. I assumed she was Danielle.

As my breathing calmed from the run, a knee touched mine and I looked over to see the redhead working to spike up his hair. I took notice of the defined muscles running up his arms. He had broad, tapered shoulders and wore a green striped shirt.

Should I scoot away?

My choice was sabatogged when a dark haired girl with green eyes practically sat down in the guy's lap. He jumped out of the way, nearly squishing me.

"Sorry," he gruffed, lips near my ear. The scent of leather and cypress had me leaning towards him.

I couldn't help it. His arm was around me, his form so close to mine.

The entire bus was full. So full that I was fairly certain we had exceeded the max capacity. Each seat was stuffed with three or four kids, and when a forth kid found our seat, the redhead lifted me into his lap.

Cheeks ignited!

"Is this alright, peanut?" he rumbled, drawing me close to his chest.

What the hell was happening to me? I used to be invisible, but now?!

I had boys catching me, tapping at my window, wanting me to hang out and come over, and buying me clothes, and now...

My cheeks managed to turn a shade darker as the boy tucked a strong arm around my waist.

Respond! I internally screamed at myself. The people in the seat in front of us turned around. Kota? Girl who was potentially Kota's girl friend?

"Hello, Sang. I see you found Nathan."

Kota and the redhead knew each other. Of course they did.

The girl beside Kota stuck out her hand. "Hi, I'm Jessica. Kota's sister."

Dammit.

I shook the Jessica's hand, trying not to jump when the redhead's fingers began to explore my belly.

Don't freak. Don't freak.

The school had to be getting close. God if this bus was any indicator of how many kids attended Ashley Waters, I was in trouble. I couldn't...

I tried to focus on Kota's lips. He was trying to say something to me. No. To Nathan.

Suddenly, the redhead loosened his grip and I felt my lungs expand in relief, letting me take in all that leathery goodness. I flushed again.

"What the fuck is wrong with her?" The words came from the dark haired girl beside Nathan. Her green eyes flashed from her perch upon a football player's lap.

I looked away sharply. I just had to get through this bus ride, and after this I was freaking walking.

From school!

To school!

Rain or shine.

Mother would approve once I explained how...close everyone sat.

I can't be around people like this, not when, not when...

The bus pulled up to the curb of the school. I lost my chance to bolt as kids flooded the aisle. I was half ready to throw myself out the emergency exit when a big hand settled on my shoulder.

I looked back to find Nathan. He smiled warmly, leaning forward to whisper in my ear. "It's okay if you're claustrophobic. We'll be off the bus soon."

Claustrophobic? How about peopleaphobic.

This was going to get a heck of a lot worse when I got off the bus.