43

-Chapter 43-

The Next Afternoon

Mr. Owen Blackbourne's POV:

Mr. Taylor Jr. and Sr. brought Sang back from the hospital late last night. She had been asleep for most of the day giving my brothers and I an opportunity for a family meeting.

It felt as though it had been forever since I had seen all their faces in one room.

Simba was curled up in Mr. Morgan's lap. Mr. Korba and Mr. Griffin sat on either side of him.

The Taylor brothers sat on the floor while Sean took up the love seat.

Mr. Lee leaned against the wall opposite of Mr. Coleman who leaned against the couch. He was the first to speak up. "Oy, Mr. B, should we really be having a family meeting without Matthew here?"

I shrugged, feeling suddenly strange in my grey suit. I was no longer the team leader, and I was no more qualified than the others to field questions regarding Miss Sorenson or the logistics of taking down a sex ring.

Frankly, I was not certain what my brothers' intentions were for Miss Sorenson. Did they truly mean to have a relationship with her as the Toma team had with their bird?

It seemed impractical.

There were a lot of us and it was foolish to think that Miss Sorenson could reciprocate all of our feelings.

She was new to love.

She was new to having a real family.

So, what was really wrong with letting Miss Sorenson enjoy the little things for now? If she fell in love with a few of us, or one of us, or all of us, wonderful, but talking about it wouldn't change the ultimate outcome.

"Mr. Eli is incapacitated at the moment. I am in no way stepping back up to the plate, but there are rules that need to be established regarding Miss Sorenson."

I didn't miss the way Sean crossed his arms. He knew what was coming.

"What kind of rules?" Mr. Coleman looked annoyed.

"Just a few ground rules." I fixed my glasses. "After my discussion with Dr. Green, we have decided upon the following: One: there will be no more sharing a bed with Miss Sorenson. Two: there will be no kissing of Miss Sorenson unless Miss Sorenson permits it. Three: there will be no leading Miss Sorenson on." I directed a pointed look at Sean who pretended not to see it. "Any questions?"

Their voices came as one.

"What about hugs?" shouted Mr. Taylor SR.

"She's going to think it's weird if we are suddenly keeping our distance," chimed Mr. Morgan.

"Why the fuck do we need rules? I demand anarchy!" cried Mr. Coleman, throwing his fist into the air.

"Why are we making rules about who Sang kisses?" asked Mr. Lee. He looked around confused before finding a handful of his brothers looking sheepish. "Oh, come on, guys! Are you kidding me? Silas?"

Mr. Korba had put his hands behind his head, trying to hide his smile. "What can I say, Kota? I'm Greek."

"That's not an excuse! Who else has made a move?" Four tentative hands raised into the air. Mr. Morgan. Mr. Coleman. Mr. Taylor SR. And, of course, Sean. "Really, Vic? Even you? Did Nathan and I just miss the memo?"

"You two have been on a lot of missions," replied Victor.

"Supporting the team to make up for the nine favors we had to pay Matthew for getting Sang back!" Nathan shouted.