Chapter 54: North

-Chapter 54: North Taylor's POV-

Silas had Sang cuddled in his fucking arms and I still had not gotten so much as a hello.

I was done waiting.

"Sang?"

She peeked up from the giant's chest. Her green eyes were like an arrow in my heart and I innerly cursed myself for falling victim to such a spell.

"Sang, I'm sorry for what happened."

She smiled slightly. "Why? It's not like it's your fault."

"I should have stuck around and made sure you got inside safe."

"Oy, what you should have done is check the cameras before you let her in that house."

"Cameras?" Sang asked, looking to Gabe for confirmation. Little fucker should learn to keep his mouth shut. What if Sang freaked out? She could just run off with that Eli, Matthew, whatever the fuck his name is! And then what?

"Yeah, Vic hooked them up because..." Gabe looked over at our oh-so-great new leader. "Well, because we knew you were having trouble at home. We needed to know when things got really bad so we could get you out. Can't have my Trouble getting into any more trouble." He winked.

"We didn't even have a chance to use the cameras, Princess," called Victor. When he looked over at Sang, a little bit of his old fire had started back in his eyes. "You spent the entire week at Mr. Blackbourne's, and the moment you returned home you were...well, kidnapped."

"We had the opportunity to review the footage, Miss Sorenson. There are some things you should be aware of--"

"Like the fact your cunt mother purposely let this happen, Trouble--"

"Mr. Coleman, quiet!"

Gabe shut his mouth, though in his defense, I couldn't have said it better myself.

"No, Gabriel...what are you talking about? What do you mean my mom let this happen? I don't even remember walking into the house..." Sang was beginning to tremble, despite Silas' embrace so Gabe put his arms around her, too.

"Pookie, what do you mean you don't remember going into the house?" Dr. Green had turned in his seat.

"It's just...nothing. I remember getting out of North's car and then there's nothing until... I think there had been a bag over my head. I could hear voices. One was Mr. Hendricks. The other I didn't recognize..."

"We're doing memory tests the moment we get back..." Dr. Green was muttering as Mr. Blackbourne began to speak over him.

"Do you remember what the men were talking about, Miss Sorenson?"

She was quiet a moment. "Hendricks said he broke my head open, but the other guy didn't think he hit me hard enough because I was waking up."

Silas inhaled sharply, and I knew then the giant was making a list of people who would pay.

"The guy said something about Hendricks needing to get his act together if he wanted to be a long term member, like that place was a club or something..." Sang went on. "They were talking about f-fucking my mom...and then about how I was Hendricks' golden ticket into a whole new world."

My brothers had gone ridged in their seats. The only one who didn't look completely disturbed was Matthew. "Sounds like the head honcho took you in. I haven't managed to see his face yet, but the guy must run the entire operation himself. There's no partner, only recruits. He has men bring in one new girl as their contribution in order to join the group.

"It keeps their operation a secret because everyone involved has a serious crime to keep quiet. From what I'm hearing, Hendricks must have done his homework before picking up Sang. He chose her because she's a ghost bird--"

"I prefer the term shadow wolf." Sang interrupted. Matthew couldn't hide his smirk. Shit, I thought. They already have inside jokes.

"Whatever Mr. Hendricks discovered was enough for him to know he could pay off Sang's mother," I said finally. "We walked in there and the lady was counting a briefcase full of money. After reviewing the footage, we confirmed--"

"We confirmed North punched your mom in the fucking face!" Nathan broke down laughing. "It was literally the best thing I've ever seen in my life. If that video was a Vine it would go viral."

Sang looked to me, fire in her eyes. Why the fuck was she pissed at me now? I had taken care of that bitch.

"You struck my mother, North?"

"Yeah..."

"Seriously? What the fuck? You know she's sick, right? She can't help what she does!"

I snorted, because fuck this. Didn't Sang know how ridiculous she sounded defending that woman? "She can't help what she does? Jeezus Christ, Sang. She sold you into a fucking sex ring. So, fuck yes I hit her. Gave her a taste of her own fucking medicine--"

She launched herself at me, but this time I was ready...and there was no god damn coffee table for me to fall into. "Why are you such an asshat? You don't understand anything, North! She's sick and she can't help it! You can't go around hitting people!" She cried as she tried to hit me in the chest.

I caught her wrists, trying to bite back a laugh. She was so damn angry, and had been through so much and was still trying to defend the psycho bitch she called mommy.

Sang saw the corners of my mouth twitch, and went fire engine red. "You don't get to laugh at me, you big jerk!" she tried, but now the corners of her mouth were twitching, too. "Damn you!" she cursed as her first giggle slipped. "I'm still mad at you."

And then we were both laughing.

***

Sang and Gabe traded places, and Sang slept in my arms the rest of the car ride home. It was unanimously decided that we would not be allowing Sang to return to her parents' house.

As far as her mother and father were concerned, Sang had been sold to Mr. Hendricks and that was that.

Sang would also not be able to return to Ashley Waters High School, which meant it was a good thing Sang would be joining the Academy.

She would be able to further her education, and gain the skills a girl like her would need to survive in this world.

To be honest, as pissed as I was that Matthew let Sang shoot someone, I was curious to see how well she handled a firearm...though I was more curious to see how well she would do on the back of my motorcycle.

Hell, the image of Sang on my motorcycle, clad in leather, holding onto me... What more could any man hope for?

"Shit." Matthew was just shutting the van door after we had all poured out. "Would anybody be willing to drive back with me so I can get my motorcycle?"

Sleepy Sang raised her hand when no one else did. "I'd be willing."

Oh, hell no. There was not a chance I was going to let Sang Baby ride with that fucker first.