Chapter 87: Biology 101

-Chapter 87-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

"Does anyone have any questions?" Matt asked and three hands shot up instantly. All were girls.

He pointed to a blonde with pink streaks in her hair. "Are you single?"

"Only subject-related questions, please." Matt was acting more professional than I had ever seen, but I didn't miss the way his mouth twitched. "You there." He pointed to a brunette.

"Do you do any...private tutoring? I bet you could make biology my favorite class."

"No, I do not do private tutoring, and if you enjoy cutting flat worms in half then you will definitely appreciate the curriculum." He didn't miss a beat.

Some of the girls blanched. A pair of guys high-fived and gave a 'Yes, we get to cut up dead things!' cheer.

"The worms are alive, actually. Please settle down."

A few faces went ghostly white. "That's against animal rights! You can't make us cut up a living creature!" One of the girls was out of her seat, pointing a finger at Matt. "I'm going to report you."

Matt tilted his head to the side. "Why? You aren't hurting the worms. Splitting flat worms is how they reproduce. We'll be catching them ourselves. You'll slice them, watch them grow and be releasing them back into the wild. Biology. Won't that be magical?"

I guess Matt was incapable of fending off all his inner sarcasm, just as I wasn't able to stop my grin. I put my head down on my desk just as another note found its way to my desk.

"Any other questions before we get started?"

A slow hand rose near the back of the room. The hand belonged to skater boy wearing a black hoodie that read 'Straight Outta Compton' down the front. His hood was up and I couldn't see his face. "I know you said no personal questions, but dude, what the hell happened to your eye?"

"Car accident," Matt answered. "A little piece of glass got me. That's all. Anything else?"

"Are you going to go blind?"

"Hopefully not. Alright. Everyone can grab a biology text book from the shelf there. Page 20 holds your reading. It goes over some basic information regarding flat worms and I will see what I can do to get our hands on some microscopes by the end of the week."

A few minutes later the class was filled with silence and page turning, though the notes still found their way onto my desk."

I was a fast reader and I found myself sitting at my desk with nothing to do. My fingers found their way to one of the notes and I opened it.

Boo,

How would you like to be bent over next hour? I've had dreams about the back of your head--

I am not sure what happened first, my face flushing or Matt confiscating the note. He read it over before crushing the note in his death grip. His blue eye scanned the room. "No note passing will be tolerated." His words were so cold that I actually shivered. "Is that understood?"

Yes and a few Yes Sir's passed through the room. Matt lifted the pile of notes from my desk and dropped them into the garbage just as the bell rang to signal the end of class.