Chapter 11: Crowded

-Chapter 11-

Nathan kept an arm around my shoulders as we exited the bus. An ocean of students awaited.

Ashley Waters High School was an old brick building that gave the slight impression of a state correctional facility.

Bars on the windows. Metal detectors when you walked through the doors. There we were even a handful of security guards to check backpacks and purses.

My last school had consisted of marble floors and white wash paintings. There was an art program and a variety of organized clubs. People were reprimanded for chewing gum and low-grade bullying.

Somehow, I imagined this school would be different.

Just past the metal detectors, I noticed a group of boys smoking cigarettes. Across the hall, a girl had a flat iron and was doing her hair. Kids sat up against worn blue lockers while others played with lighters.

I guess the backpack searches weren't good for much.

I searched for Marie, but could see nothing over the crowd. Colorful hair, pierced faces, jocks, goths, cheerleaders; they all blocked my view.

My heart thundered as people shouldered past. How would I find the office? I turned, looking back for Nathan, Kota, or even his sister, Jessica. How had I lost them?

I could barely see through the crowd, let alone walk. My feet were stuck to the ugly, checkered floor. Tears pricked my eyes.

Don't cry. Don't cry.

I missed my old school. It was small. I recognized faces. There wasn't...this.

"Miss Sorenson?"

The sound of my name confused me. I looked up to see a familiar face just as a tear snuck down my cheek.

"Mr. Blackbourne?"

His slate grey eyes reflected concern as the corner of his mouth dipped down. "Are you alright? Why are you crying?" His words were surprisingly soft, and he looked torn between reaching for me and maintaining his professionalism.

Professionalism won out and I wiped away my own tear. "Allergies," I mumbled.

He nodded.

"Would...you help me find the office?"

"It would be my pleasure, Miss Sorenson."

Mr. Blackbourne guided me through the labyrinth of hallways. The main office was tucked away somewhere stupid. It was past the locker rooms and around the corner. I would have never found it myself.

The walk gave me time to admire Mr. Blackbourne's suit. It was grey and tailored to perfection. Likely Italian. With the suit, he wore a maroon tie that he fiddled with as we walked.

My gaze drifted to the ceiling, and I noticed a lot of water damage and...green stuff. In some places there were no ceiling panels at all, only pipework.

Instead of bulletin boards on the red brick walls, there was graffiti, mostly depicting phallic images and curse words.

How lovely.

We entered the main office together. Marie had somehow already found the place and was slipping out the door with her new schedule.

"You get your new classes?" I asked with a smile, but Marie only rolled her eyes, shoulder checking me on the way out.

"Don't talk to me, weirdo."

I deflated slightly, approaching the receptionist Marie had been working with, but Mr. Blackbourne steered me down the hall. "This way, Miss Sorenson."

He led me to a closed office and pulled a silver key from his pocket to take care of the door.

"Owen! We are moving up in the world. The principal wants us to move to an office down the hall-- Oh, who is this?"

Mr. Blackbourne seemed to stiffen at the sight of the man seated behind his desk. "Dr. Green," he managed. "This is Ms. Sorenson."

A silent conversation passed between them and suddenly Dr. Green was rounding the much-too-big desk to shake my hand.

"So, little lady, Owen here tells me you need assistance with your schedule."

I wasn't sure if I was more thrown off by the creepy telepathy they shared or by Dr. Green's ironically green, cheerful eyes.

Those eyes made me feel safe. A sensation I wasn't used to, and it was enough for me to allow him to pull me over to the desk where his computer sat.

"So, what may I call you?"

"Sang," I whispered.

Dr. Green's eyes lit up. "What a unique name. Do you know what classes you'd like to take?"

My mouth opened, but I got lost in his eyes again. His hair was sandy blond, laced with curls and cut to his mid ears. Dr. Green smirked as I took him in. I would have blushed if I had not been so flabbergasted.

How the heck did all these beautiful people know each other?

He has a heart-shaped face, teasing brows, and he was a doctor? No way. There were no sexy, muscled doctors in this world! None who would notice me, at least.

My face was officially on fire, the blush spreading to the tips of my ears. I had just thought the word sexy. How could I stand here like I knew the first thing about sex. And this guy was a stranger!

Whore! Slut! Tease! My mother's voice sounded in my head, and I felt the sensation of her belt on my thighs. The memory of pain snapped me to my senses.

"So, are you really a doctor?" I asked as the man typed away into his computer.

Mr. Blackbourne stood at the edge of the room, arms folded.

Dr. Green smiled. "Yes I am."

"You look kind of young," I observed. "For a doctor, I mean."

"Yes...I am." Dr. Green grinned, looking over the list of classes he was putting together. "So, the mandatory classes are Math, English, and History, which leaves you with two electives and a study hall."

I put a finger to my lip. "I should probably take a language and... are there any art classes?"

"You know, sweetheart, where your language credits are concerned, I'm teaching an Intro to Greek course."

Wasn't Greek difficult to learn?

Dr. Green spied my hesitation. "If you're concerned with falling behind, I would be more than happy to be your private tutor." He leaned forward, to catch a strand of my blonde hair between his fingers, but I stepped back out of his reach.

"Dr. Green," Mr. Blackbourne warned. "You're here to teach, not annoy me with your childish games."

The doctor rolled his eyes at me. "Owen gets worked up so easily it's not even fun." His fingers ticked across the keyboard. "I'm putting you in my class, Sang, and because Owen seems so hell bent on protecting your well being...done!"

Mr. Blackbourne's grey eyes flashed dangerously behind his black rimmed glasses. He adjusted them on his nose, and had to take, yet another breath, before speaking. "Did you just finalize Miss Sorenson's schedule without her okay?"

"What's to okay?" teased Dr. Green. "She has Math with Silas and Kota. English with North and Luke. History is with Nathan and Gabe. And then there is lunch before the most wonderful end of the day classes Ashley Waters can offer.

"So that means Greek with myself, Silas, and Victor. Then I gave you a whole hour with the stiff, and then you'll have another hour of study hall with the stiff, right after."

"By the stiff I presume you mean me?" asked Mr. Blackbourne.

"Right you are, Owen." Dr. Green grinned. "Right you are."