Chapter 72: I'll Teach You With My Fists!

-Chapter 72-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

I woke up back in Mr. Blackbourne's house. It was nice to be in a soft bed with clean blankets. But mostly, it was nice to know I was never going home again.

I got dressed in a cute set of clothes that Gabriel had left me. Jeans and...a plaid shirt! He remembered.

I hugged the red and black checked material close to my body. Things were starting to feel right.

I could hear voices down stairs and walked quietly to down the hall to sit on the first step.

Everyone was down there. It was nice to see them all together, even if they looked like they were fighting.

Nathan was redfaced with anger and Dr. Green's arms were crossed. Silas was expressionless. Victor kept his eyes on his lap.

And then Kota's words cut through the air. "Sang is going to ruin our family. North was right. We shouldn't have gotten involved."

Time came to a stop. Kota didn't want me here? What did I do wrong?

"I'm going to punch you in the eye!" snarled Gabriel who was immediately restrained by Nathan.

Holy heck, Meanie could be scary.

"Explain what you mean, Mr. Lee. Why should we not have gotten involved?" By the look on Mr. Blackbourne's face I knew he was curious of what Kota had to say. He probably didn't want me in his house.

Who had I been fooling? I was a damn burden on everyone.

Kota's words were clipped. "Because Sang has ruined everything. We are out nine favors to a guy who has just been declared our team leader. We have been recruited on a dangerous mission, and North has already been injured. This is ridiculous, Mr. Blackbourne. Why the hell have you stepped down without a fight?" Kota's hands were balled up at his sides as though he wanted to hit me.

"I have stepped down, Mr. Lee, because it was the right thing to do."

"Even I think that's bullshit, Mr. B," huffed Gabriel from where Nathan was keeping him in a headlock.

"It is nothing of the sort, Mr. Coleman. If you haven't noticed, Mr. Eli is much more qualified to be our leader. He is, after all, a higher ranked member of the Academy. He has handled missions like this before, and from what Mr. Taylor and Sang have shared with me, he has advanced knowledge in the field of firearms and infiltration.

"The last thing I want is for any of you, or myself, to die. Mr. Eli is the smartest choice in our situation."

"There wouldn't be a situation if we had never met Sang," Kota snapped. Nathan nodded in agreement.

My heart died in my chest. How could I have been so stupid? I quietly walked back to my bedroom. I could hear Silas' booming voice as I made my way down the hall. "How can you say that? Aggele Mou would have been taken into the ring, for them to..." He drifted off and I could hear him cursing in Greek. At least I picked up a few things in my one day of Greek class.

"So, what?" Nathan challenged. "If Sang was taken, Matthew would have saved her anyway and we wouldn't owe favors--"

I had heard enough. I threw opened the bedroom window and free-climbed my way down the side of the house.

Nothing in that place was really mine anyway. Not the clothes. Not the cat. Not the boys.

***

By the time night fell across the sky, I was lost in the trees behind my house, just like the first time I had ever met the Blackbourne boys.