Chapter 6: Pranking North

-Chapter 6-

The inside of the restaurant was beautiful. A big crystal chandelier hung from the center of a vaulted ceiling surrounded by intricate woodwork and long stain glass windows.

Luke pulled me past circular tables filled with smiling, chatty customers. We were so ninja that the man at the register didn't even see us slip into the kitchen.

Luke pressed a finger to his lips as we crossed the threshold into the chrome emblazoned kitchen. He put a hand on my head, as we ducked behind a counter top.

A deep voice singing Bon Jovi came rocking through the air, rivaling the volume of the radio.

"SHOT THROUGH THE HEART! AND YOU'RE TOO LATE! YOU GIVE LUUHHVVE A BAD NAME!"

A giggle slipped and Luke cupped a hand over my mouth grinning. With his free hand he did a bit of sign language: Do you know sign?

I nodded signing back. Mandatory to learn at last school.

Luke: You're pretty cool.

He made a gesture of a heart throb and then winked.

We made our way around the counter to see a hulking boy around our age. He had dark hair and dark eyes, with thick brows which furrowed as he expertly cut up a carrot.

His skills with a knife could have gotten him a place on Master Chef, but when I looked to Luke, his upper lip was raised in protest.

He was actually glaring at the carrot.

I peeked around the kitchen, trying to find Luke's little brother, but it seemed the only person back here was the tan, broad shouldered boy.

I studied him another moment.

I knew that guy...

Grumpy! I realized with a start. He was one of the boys training with Kota this morning. He had waved to me!

I looked from Grumpy's enormous body to Luke's lean form. Surely they couldn't be brothers...and if they were...how could Luke be older?

I tapped Luke and began to sign. Where's your brother?

Luke pointed to Grumpy again and signed: Go get him, tiger. He winked before pushing me out into the open.

Tomato red. That was the color of my face as I stumbled into Luke's brother. He caught my arm, practically cutting me open with the big knife in his hand. "AHH!"

"What the hell are you doing back here? This is for staff only!" He gruffed over my cry of alarm.

I couldn't tell if he was really angry that I was back here or if it was because I had interrupted his solo.

The boy wore black from head to toe. He even had managed to get his hands on what appeared to be the only black apron.

I tried to focus my gaze on his face and not let my eyes wander to where Luke was replacing all the packets of tea with hot cocoa.

"Well?" Grumpy's eyes searched mine, impatiently.

My eyebrows went up as my face became a mask. Don't blow this! "I...I'm sorry, but I wanted to know who was singing. I...like Bon Jovi."

He snorted. "You?"

I nodded.

My lip twitched as I saw Luke wink at me. He was digging under the counter and removing all the black clothing. He replaced them with articles of pink.

Luke must have had this planned for a while... a plan B to the vegetable prank, perhaps?

"You look familiar."

I looked up to see the brother scrutinizing me.

"I, uh, saw you this morning with Kota."

"You know Kota?"

"Kind...of..." I took a step back as Luke disappeared out the back door. "I should be going."

The brother snapped his fingers. "Oh, you're Sang!" He stuck out his hand...the one without the knife. "I'm North, by the way."

Why did everyone want to shake my hand...wait wait wait!

The boy's fingers curled to his palm.

Fist bump.

I could roll with that.

Fist bump.

"I've got to get back to work, but I'll see you around?"

My smile was slight and so was his. I pointed to the back door. "Can I go out this way?"

"Sure thing."

I paused on my heel, looking back. "Um, North?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I steal a carrot?"

I was careful to not let the door hit me on the way out as I worked to erase all signs of vegetable consumption. I was barely outside when Luke picked up my hand.

"So what did you think of North? He's a big grump, right?"

I laughed. "He seemed fine to me."

"Do you want to come to Kota's? Victor is over there and probably Nathan. Ooh! When school starts you need to meet Silas! You are going to Ashley Waters, aren't you?"

"Yea--"

I barely got the word out before he had me in a spinning hug. "Yes! Do you know your classes? We better have a class together! I can teach you the finer skills of a sneaky sneak."

"And together we'll be the sneakiest sneaks in the whole school." I giggled.

"The world, Sang. The world."

***

As Luke and I walked back through the forest, a bad feeling coiled in my chest. How long had I been out?

The sun seemed kind of low in the sky, and a sixth sense was screaming at me to get home.

"Hey, Luke?"

"Hmm?"

"I think I need to be getting home."

"This will be fastest." His fingers caught my arm and when Luke tried to get me up on his shoulders I freaked out.

I just

Freaked

Out.

"Don't touch me!" I yelped, falling back on my butt when he reached for me.

Confusion flickered through Luke's face as he jerked back his hand.

My face flushed. I had been tolerating touch all day. I had really tried. But when he grabbed me like...like...

I couldn't be here.

I took off running down the path.

"Sang! Sang wait!"

How could I wait? I couldn't act like a normal person around these boys. Heck. I wasn't even supposed to be around boys. Mother would kill me if she knew.

I was stupid to think I could have friends. Mother had already punished me, and that was just for looking at the guys.

If Mother knew that I was running around in the forest or going to Kota's house...or letting Luke hold my hand or hug me.

Hot tears ran down my cheeks.

Maybe I was a whore.