8

-Chapter 8-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

The September air was cool against my cheeks as I marched through the grass towards Scraggle Beard. He had the orange kitten and was mock dropping it. Scraggle Beard's friends laughed as the kitten cried, and my face darkened. People who hurt animals were truly evil.

"Hey! Stop that!"

The sound of my voice shocked even me. The boys spun. Scraggle Beard grinned, mock dropping the kitten again, laughing when he mewled.

"You motherfuckers!"

Was that me again?

Oh dear god, I was charging forward. No, Sang. No!

I slammed into Scraggle Beard, and the cat flew from his hands as we came crashing down. Thwhap! Smack!

I punched him square in the jaw before he snagged my wrist. My hand opened up and struck him across the cheek before we rolled.

Scraggle Beard roared, pinning me to the ground. Both his hands were on my throat as I snarled for blood. He grabbed a handful of my hair, bashing my head into the ground once, twice.

"You little bitch!" he hissed, closing his fingers tightly around my throat.

"Jackass," I writhed, kneeing him hard in the groin. He smacked me in the face. I spit in his face. He smacked me again and I saw stars.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Whose voice was that? I was losing consciousness as Scraggle Beard's hands locked around my throat. A far off part of me realized I was dying as my vision darkened. I tried to lash out again, but it was no use...and then Scraggle Beard was gone.

I coughed and sputtered, trying to catch my breath. I was extremely disoriented...What had made him let go?

I looked up to see Ser Silas.

Well, that was enough to make anyone stop.

Where had the kitten gone?

I rubbed at my neck as I stumbled to my feet, looking around. I hunkered down to peer under the trees. Scraggle Beard could have really hurt that kitty...

"Princess, is this what you're looking for?"

I turned to see Victor with an orange little cat snuggled in his arms. He smiled softly at me when I nodded, and it was like my heart had been struck with an arrow.

Victor was so sweet.

I ran up to him to pet the kitty, but stopped an arm's length away. Victor was tracing me over with those warm brown eyes. If there was ever a man who could 'release the smolder,' it was Victor.

I tried to focus back on the kitten purring for its life in Victor's arms. The orange ball of fur rubbed its tiny face against my fingers as I reached out for it.

"He likes you, princess. Maybe you should take him home?"

"Mother would never let me," I whispered, rubbing at a kitten ear. "What should we do with him?"