Chapter 16: North

-Chapter 16: North Taylor's POV-

I spent the hour slumped in my seat, trying to hide the fact that I was redfaced. We shouldn't have to put on a stupid play just because Sang can't find out we are Academy.

If we didn't want Sang to find out we were Academy, we should just stop talking to her.

She shouldn't even be here. The girl didn't need help, she could just open those big green eyes of hers and the world would give her whatever she needed. But instead of using her powers for good, Sang had turned her charms on my brothers.

I glanced at the girl to find her batting her lashes at Victor as they played with that orange cat she had rescued.

Victor liked Sang. I could see it in the way his eyes lit up when she smiled.

Silas was just as bad, if not worse, because I understood all of those quiet Greek whispers he muttered as he watched her.

It was then I noticed Kota whispering with the others. Whenever Luke got that fucking grin on his face, I knew I was in trouble.

They were devising a storyline for the play. They wanted to hold auditions and make time between missions for rehearsal, as if we weren't busy enough.

And all for what?

Sang?

Some little temptress who was going to tear our family apart?

Victor was already spending money on her. Gabe was already picking out her clothes. And Luke, after that day he found Sang in a tree, all he did was daydream. Yesterday at work, Luke was so high up in the clouds he managed to burn a customer's order four times.

It was a miracle Kota hasn't fallen for her, yet. Nathan was already flashing her lovey eyes, and Silas was beyond help.

Even now I could hear him whispering in Greek. "Ω, αν γνώριζα μια Άγκελε με περίμενε στην Αμερική, θα είχα πλεύσει εδώ πριν από μια ολόκληρη ζωή." (Oh, if I had known an angel was waiting for me in America, I would have sailed here a lifetime ago.)

I could puke.

Sure. Sang was cute. Beautiful, even. But no girl was worth throwing away our team. We were a family.

It brought me a disturbing amount of joy to see Sang jump at the sound of the bell, though the joy was immediately squashed when Gabe gave her a hug and Victor offered to drive her home.

Sang blushed and stuttered like an idiot, her eyes going to the door like she meant to run, but couldn't because the stupid kitten was still in her arms.

Mr. Blackbourne strode over and took up the creature by its scruff. I could only assume his standoffish attitude had something to do with the bandages lacing his arms and cheek.

"I don't need a ride." Sang was trying to argue with Victor, but Gabe had snuck up from behind, pulling her against his chest. Sang went ridged, playing coy.

What an actress!

I couldn't watch this anymore. Fuck, it was like watching a train racing down a track that was about to run out.

And the train was on fire.

And you know the wreck is going to be terrible but you can't bring yourself to look away.

That was Sang.

She was the train and my brothers and I, we were the passengers.

"I'm heading out guys. Uncle needs me at the restaurant," I called, pressing out the doors.

"North?" Luke followed after me. "Can I get a ride?"

"Fuck no! Why don't you go back to your girlfriend?"

Luke flinched. "Why do you always have to be so grumpy? You've been acting really mean towards Sang. She's a cool girl. You shouldn't--"

"Cool? How the hell is she cool? Sang barely says a word, and all she does is blush and giggle. It's ridiculous. I don't want her near our team. She's not some solo bird. She's not someone we should even be talking to!

"She's not our friend. She doesn't need our help, so I really don't know what the fuck you guys are trying--"

Sang brushed by me.

Victor and Gabe were quick on her tail. Silas was faster, but Sang lost him in the crowd.

Mr. Blackbourne slowly entered the hall, adjusting his glasses before his steel eyes met mine. "That was very smooth, Mr. Taylor."

***

Sang had managed to get home before any of us could talk to her. I figured it was for the best, but Luke was pissed as we drove to the restaurant.

It was strange to be getting the silent treatment from him instead of the other way around.

Our shift went by in absolute silence. Luke didn't even speak to complain about the vegetables.

I tried to start a conversation with him a few times, but my attempts were met with huffs and eye rolls.

When our shift finally ended, I was relieved to slip off my pink apron and retrieve my wallet and cell phone. I just wanted to crash in my trailer and forget today.

Tomorrow, Sang wouldn't matter.

She wouldn't dare come back after what I said.

Luke would get over it.

So would Silas.

And Victor.

And Gabe.

They would see it is for the best, and we would remain a family--

"North." The sharpness in Luke's usually playful voice caught me off guard as he shoved his phone in front of my face. "This is your fucking fault."

I tried to analyze the live video feed coming through the screen, but my brain wouldn't comprehend what my eyes were seeing.

It was Sang.

Shirtless, in front of her window, trying to work the curtains closed. High definition footage allowed me to see that her face was wet with tears. Those green eyes of hers were angry and dark.

I looked lower and sharply inhailed.

"Fuck."

Sang's body was riddled with scars and deep purple bruises. No wonder she winced when my brothers touch her.

A lump formed in my throat as those curtains closed.

I had thought Sang was an outsider, when in truth she was one of us. Victor and Nathan's father were physical, too. Kota's dad had been so awful that the Academy took him away.

Sang was one of the people we were supposed to protect.

And because of me...

Sang was alone.