Chapter 15: Wrath of Simba

-Chapter 15-

Mr. Blackbourne was the definition of perfection. His dark hair was brushed back and styled; black rimmed glasses rested on his nose. He wore a sharp, tailored grey suit with a maroon tie.

But when Silas opened the door to the classroom, perfection did not await us.

In Mr. Blackbourne's arms was an angry ball of orange fur, hissing and spitting and scratching as it tried to fight it's way out of Mr. Blackbourne's grasp.

The kitten won out when it landed a smack to the teacher's cheek, gouging him. Blood blossomed as Mr. Blackbourne swore, dropping the little beast which skulked into a shady corner.

Mr. Blackbourne's steel grey eyes shifted to find me with my hands over my mouth and Silas trying to stop his lips from twitching into a noticeable smile. "Mr. Korba... I believe you have class."

Ser Silas abandoned me then, closing the door behind himself, and in attempts to avoid the intensity of Mr. Blackbourne's gaze, I looked around.

This wasn't the typical classroom. It was like an old music room, with half the desks, and a few forgotton instruments scattered about. A worn piano caught my eye and I remembered what Gabriel had said about Victor at the mall.

He was a pianist protégé.

I wondered if he would play something for me. He had seemed so unhappy about his gift at the mall, but I didn't understand what could be so terrible about being wonderful at something.

Glowing eyes watched me from the corner of the room, and I crossed the linoleum, getting down on my hands and knees. "Oh don't be scared kitty."

The orange kitten tilted its head to the side as I cooed for it to come out while Mr. Blackbourne nursed his wounds.

After a few more minutes the kitten emerged, bounding into my arms. I giggled as the lovey little creature purred and rubbed against my face. "Oh, you are so cute! I wish I could keep you. I would take you home and name you Simba!"

"Simba?"

"Like from Lion King," I explained, to find Mr. Blackbourne's cheek bandaged and his fingers working diligently to take care of another wound on his arm. "What are we going to do with him?"

"It would appear that you would like to take the thing home."

"My mother...doesn't let us have animals..."

Mr. Blackbourne studied me a moment as I rubbed at a kitten ear. "Well, then I can assure you I'll find the cat a good home."

"Make sure they name him Simba." I set the kitten down and it ran towards the piano, beginning to play with a discarded ribbon with newfound vigor. "So, what class is this? It's kind of weird that there aren't any other students."

"Well, it seems Dr. Green forgot fifth hour was my free hour."

"...And then my next hour is a study hall with you, too. I can go to the office--"

Mr. Blackbourne held up his hand. "No, no. We'll find something for you here. If the office takes a look at your schedule...they will notice that Dr. Green allowed you to take part in a few classes you should have not been able to take until next year."

"Like what? It seemed like the classes were pretty slow. All the content is from lessons I learned last year."

"Greek, for one. Plus I believe the English class he selected was college level if Luke and North are taking it."

"Oh." If the books in college English consisted of novels I had worked through years ago, I would hate to see what the regular English course offered.

What's more, I liked my class with Dr. Green. He answered all my questions and had happy eyes.

Plus it was my one class with Victor.

And any class where Ser Silas sat behind me was a good class. I loved his accent, and when he spoke softly in Greek even more.

"No, I like those classes. So...what should I spend this time doing?"

Mr. Blackbourne took a seat behind his desk, turning his attention to paperwork. "Homework, I suppose. Keep an eye on that cat as well."

"Will do," I answered, making my way over to the piano where the kitten played. I took a seat on the bench and ran a finger across the dusty piano keys.

I glanced back at Mr. Blackbourne and was pleased to find that the sound from the old instrument had not disturbed him.

And so I continued.

I was out of practice, but flitted my fingers across the keys playing a few bars. Muscle memory was a beautiful thing. A small piece of Mozart came to me, and then another piece followed by another. So I spent my hour with Mr. Blackbourne practicing.

And my little kitty joined me on the bench, falling asleep in my lap to the sound of music.

When the bell rang, my fingers froze atop the keys, and I sighed. Sure I had missed two dozen notes, but I was playing from memory, and it simply felt good to play.

And to pretend.

I had a pet kitty. My own piano. Friends. I smiled warmly at the thought as Simba stretched out in my lap. "Mr. Blackbourne?"

"Miss Sorenson?" He didn't look up from his paperwork and I wondered if he was angry with me for bringing the kitten into his life. After all, he had taken a couple battle wounds from the feline.

"Should I hide the kitty?"

He raised his steel gaze to mine, cocking a dark brow. "From who?"

"Students?"

"I arranged my study hall to be for team meetings. None of the boys will have an issue with...Simba."

"Team? Are you a football coach or something?" Even as the words slipped past my lips I couldn't see Mr. Blackbourne playing a sport. Especially not football.

"Well no, not exactly. The boys, Dr. Green and myself, we uh, are...putting on a play."

"A play?"

"That is correct."

"Then why do you sound like you're lying?"

The corners of Mr. Blackbourne's mouth lifted half a millimeter. "Are you accusing me of being dishonest, Miss Sorenson?"

Victor strode into the classroom before I could answer, followed by Nathan.

"Mr. Morgan, Mr. Griffin, it would seem that Miss Sorenson does not believe that we are putting together a play."

I watched silent words pass between them and narrowed my eyes when Nathan smiled broadly. "Of course we are!"

"I'm tech crew," Victor said as more of the boys filed in. "So is Kota and Luke."

"I build the sets," Nathan called, as confused looks passed between the newcomers.

I caught North as he came through the door. His dark eyes focused on my neck, but I poked him in his stomach before he could say anything. "North!"

"Sang?"

"Don't look at the others and tell me the truth! Okay?"

"Okay..."

"Are you going to be in a play?"

"Fuck n--" He glanced up, making eye contact with Mr. Blackbourne above my head. "Yes. Fuck yes. Absolutely, I am."

"North!" I actually stamped my foot, pouting, just in time for Gabriel to come in and grab my bottom lip.

"I told you to knock that off, Trouble. Oy, you better let me do your makeup before you go home. That boy left bruises on your neck."

I glowered, tucking my lip back in.

"What's wrong, Aggele Mou?" Silas asked, looking around at the others.

"They are all lying," I grumbled.

"No..." Luke said grinning. "We are putting on a play... and North is going to be the lead!"

North froze.