Chapter 49: North

-Chapter 49: North Taylor's POV-

It was a long, shitty night after our phone call with Eli. The guy seemed like a total prick. He told us barely anything about Sang's condition and the fucker would pay when I saw him.

We were all huddled in a group outside the car. Silas had dragged Victor out from the back seats and had him propped against the side of the vehicle. I wasn't sure what had him shaken up so bad.

He had the necklace he had found around his neck, and the usual fire in his eyes was dead as he stared off into the distance.

Gabriel was rummaging through a bag of clothes he had thought to bring along, and Dr. Green was looking over his medical supplies.

Mr. Blackbourne sat in the dirt, despite the toll it was taking on his silk grey suit.

Nathan was no better, flopped in the dirt, an arm over his eyes. Luke looked over a laminated square by his lonesome, and Kota was driving me out of my god damn mind with his counting. He had entered 28 million the last time I bothered listening to his whispers.

Silas was standing away from us, arms crossed as he looked up at the nearly full moon. His face could have been carved out of stone; expressionless.

I touched his shoulder. "Πώς μπορείτε να κρατήσει ψηλά?" (How are you holding up?).

Silas looked over to me. "Εμείς της απέτυχε. Άνδρες εκμεταλλεύτηκε της, και δεν θα μπορούσαμε να τους σταματήσουμε," (We failed her. Men took advantage of her, and we could not stop them).

I wanted to argue, but Silas was right.

We failed Sang.

The girl who came back would be different from the one stolen for us.

Who knew how far they had pushed her... Eli said Sang had been shot. He said she was naked and exhausted.

I winced. This was all my fault. I should have never let her go home to a mother like that.

"Πάω να σκοτώσει τον κ Hendricks. Δεν με νοιάζει αν έχω να πάω απατεώνων για να το κάνει. Θα σκοτώσει κάθε τελευταίος άνθρωπος που τόλμησε να βλάψει Άγκελε Mou," (I am going to kill Mr. Hendricks. I do not care if I have to go rogue to do it. I will kill every last man who dared to harm Aggele Mou).

I looked up at Silas. "The same rage burns in me, brother." I muttered in Greek. "This Eli is in a higher band of the Academy. He wants us to help take down Hendricks' operation. We will get our revenge."

As we spoke, there was a rustling on the far side of our camp where the road met with forest. We all looked over as one.

Sang appeared first, blonde hair flowing behind her as she laughed at something...something the man beside her said as they worked to move a large motorcycle through the terrain.

Annoyance shot through me.

Why the fuck was that idiot having Sang push that bike. She was injured! She shouldn't even have to walk after everything she has been though!

But Sang didn't look injured. Instead, that smile remained on her lips as she looked up at the man. I studied his face, wondering what about the bastard had her so entranced.

He had dark brown hair with hints of red. His eyes were like his hair. His build was good. He was close to my height; black shirt, dark jeans...was that a fucking firearm at his hip?

My gaze flickered back to Sang. What the fuck was she wearing? There was no shy blush on her cheeks as she ran into Gabriel's arms, wearing nothing but a leather jacket that showed off a hell of a lot of her legs.

"Och, Trouble, fuck. You had me worried fucking sick!" Gabriel was squeezing her as Nathan got her from the side.

I caught Eli's gaze on Sang's butt and realized her leather jacket must have ridden up. That fucking pervert. I was storming over, coming in hot.

"Someone should get the girl some clothes," Eli said. His words caught me off guard, and I staggered to a halt as the man's dark eyes shifted to me. "And if you're thinking you are going to kick my ass, you've got another thing coming, buddy."

Silas stepped up beside me, and the fucker didn't even flinch. Instead, he shifted slightly to the side, readying his stance, or attempted to as Sang ran through us to throw her arms around Silas' middle. "You were going to come save me?" she asked breathlessly. Silas went ridged beneath her touch, as if her question only reinforced his failure to do so.

"I'm sorry, Aggele," he rumbled, arms going around her slowly. And the giant melted just like that.

When Sang resurfaced from the hug, she ducked past Dr. Green who was ordering her to sit down and have her wounds tended to.

I noticed she didn't hug me. She didn't even try. She knew this was all my fault.

"Luke!" she exclaimed, throwing her arms around my brother. "Oh, you should have seen it! Matt and I were running through the trees like ninjas. It was so cool!"

Who the fuck was Matt?

Luke whispered something to Sang that made her cheeks catch fire as she tried to pull down the back of the leather jacket.

"Gabriel!" she cried. "You freaking meanie. You said no one could see anything!"

Gabriel doubled over with laughter before Nathan could slap him upside the head.

Sang hugged Kota next, more carefully than the others and stopped his incessant counting. She whispered something to him and he pointed to Victor who was slowly pushing himself to his feet.

Sang stopped before she hugged him. She took his hand in two of hers. In half a second she had Victor in tears.

I looked to Eli who was back to watching Sang, his expression unreadable.

I cleared my throat, drawing Eli's attention. "So you brought Sang back. What do we need to do to get you out of our hair?"