42

-Chapter 42-

North Taylor's POV:

I wasn't that beat up after the accident, but it still felt good to rest for a bit after waiting so long for Matthew to wake up.

I could hear people talking out in the hall. I recognized Dr. Green's voice and... was that Sang? The thought of seeing her made my stomach flip. Would she blame me for what happened to Matthew? It was my fault... I had lost control of the vehicle. I had taken the first swing.

If Sang found out the whole story, she would hate me. I swallowed hard as the door to my hospital room opened and Sang stepped in. Dr. Green was nowhere to be found.

My heart began to pound faster and I swore under my breath. Sang was already having too much of an effect on me. She looked uncertain, standing there in her black tee and colored shorts. Her blonde hair was messy and her eyes looked tired.

"North?" She bit her lip, looking me over. I probably looked terrible. Half my head was covered in gauze and most of my body was decorated with bandages. Sang was frozen.

"You can come closer. I don't bite," I mumbled.

"You only growl sometimes," she said quietly.

"Well, I don't mean to growl at you."

Her green eyes finally met mine. "You remind me of a bear. You're big, and you can be really scary--"

"But secretly, I'm not scary. It's just my face."

She giggled. "No, you are scary. Really scary."

My smile slipped, ever so slightly, from my face. "I don't mean to be, I--"

"Don't apologize." Sang touched my arm. "And I like your face, and I'm glad that you're okay. You are okay, aren't you?"

"Yeah, don't worry about me."

"Tell me where you're hurt," she ordered, a hand dropping to her hip.

My smile returned. When did Sang get so bossy? "My head. Doc was concerned I had a concussion for a little while there. I'm in the clear now. Other than that just some cuts and bruises. My right leg was cut, too, but it's all stitched up and healing. I won't need crutches or anything."

"Good...I just found out about the car accident this morning. If I had known, I would have been over here sooner. I'm so sorry you had to go back out there. None of you would have even been out there if I hadn't let myself be taken." Sang was fighting back tears.

"Sang, this isn't your fault." She wasn't hearing me, and I caught her wrist, giving her a tug. "If you don't tell the others, I'll give you a hug," I offered.

She looked up confused, then smiled a little, accepting my embrace. I took her into my arms. Sang still had to be exhausted, if not emotionally scarred, from all of the events that had transpired.

I pet her blonde hair until she softened against me and her sobs ceased. "None of this is your fault, baby," I gruffed. "We're okay. You're okay. Everyone is safe now."

***

Gabriel Coleman's POV:

I woke up with my beautiful Trouble in my arms. The battle was over. Our family had got her home safe and sound. She had pressed a kiss to my cheek the night before, and I intended to return the favor.

I drew her close to my chest, pressing a kiss to her ear. Sang moaned softly, but the sound was...wrong. Slowly, I leaned forward, kissing her neck. The same sound.