Chapter 23: Academy Hospital

-Chapter 23-

I was alone until the bell signaling end of the day went off. It was time to go home and I took a very long moment to shimmy off the bed. My head felt all warm and I stumbled when my feet touched down.

I caught myself on the wall, crying out softly when pain shot through my side. Shoot, I was going to miss the bus. I was going to be late again. Mom was--

A pair of arms picked me up from my crumpled place on the floor. When had I fallen? Dr. Green was there. North was behind him.

"Dammit. She has a fever. She needs to go to the hospital."

The hospital? "No," I tried. "My mom would just want me to go home. Can someone take me home?"

North was scooping me up. I felt suddenly embarrassed to be in his arms. He kept me firmly pressed against his chest and I could feel his heart against my cheek. The sound made me feel tired. Safe.

I had done so little, yet the day felt so long. "Please bring me home, North." I think my fingers were tangled in his shirt.

He must not have answered.

Or maybe he did.

But my eyes were already closing.

***

It was dark when I opened my eyes again. I was connected to an I.V.

I wasn't sure where I was and looked around blindly. White walls, tile floor. I could hear someone else breathing.

My eyes took another moment to adjust. Victor?

All I could see was an outline beside me. A slight, muscular build, soft brown hair falling in waves to the nape of his neck.

He must have fallen asleep because his face was pressed against the metal rail of the bed as he slumped forward, both arms were over the rail as well.

What was he doing here? What was I doing here?

I hesitated a moment before gently touching his hair. When Victor didn't stir, I ran my fingers through his locks. His hair was so soft and he smelt of moss and berries.

He let me pet him a moment longer before letting out a quiet whimper. The words don't leave struck me as odd, but Victor must have been dreaming.

When he cried out again, I gently rubbed my thumb across his cheek and hoped I was not frightening him when I whispered his name. "Victor? Victor, you're dreaming. Open your eyes."

The young man did, blinking and rubbing at his face. There was a red line across his cheek as he sat up. I tried not to giggle, but failed miserably; his brown eyes drifted to me.

A relieved smile crossed his lips."Oh, Princess! You're awake." He touched my cheek, but quickly withdrew his fingertips. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't... without your permission."

Something about the way he said it had me reaching for his hand. After all, this was the guy who had taken me shopping at the mall. He was the guy who found my kitty. He was the guy who fell asleep in my hospital room waiting for me to wake up.

When Victor's hand encompassed mine, my heart began to flutter. His dark eyes had turned on their smolder and I was struck with the sudden realization that I may be in love.

"Princess, what's wrong?"

"I...am I in the hospital?" No, no, no! I cannot be in love with Victor. I tried to talk myself out of the ridiculous idea. Luke also makes my heart flutter like this, I reminded myself. And so does Silas and Gabriel...and Nathan when he puts his arm around me...and if I wanted to be really honest with myself, so did Dr. Green.

"Yes, I'm sorry, but you were running a fever of 104. You could have died, Princess..."

"Do my parents know where I am?"

Victor bit his lip, drawing my attention to his mouth. "North talked to your sister, Marie. He paid her off so that she'll cover for you through the weekend. She also said that you're paid up through the end of the month?"

My eyebrows shot up. "How much did you give her? You shouldn't have done that!" It hurt to breathe, and my thundering heart made me feel like I was bruised on the inside.

Victor pulled his hand out of mine in order to press his palms together. "It doesn't matter how much. All that matters is that you're okay." He was looking down, like he couldn't look me in the face. "Can I show you something?" He spoke softly.

"Of course, Victor." I wanted to reach out for him. He looked so uncomfortable and sad. Was that because of me? I didn't mean to freak out...

Victor rolled the left sleeve of his white button-down all the way up to his elbow before holding out his arm.

I sucked in a breath.

Burned into his flesh were circles the size of quarters. Some overlapped. Others were accented by smaller circles. They started just above his wrist and disappeared up his arm beneath his sleeve. "My father burns me with his cigars."

Victor reached for my already outstretched fingers and drew them to his arm. The burns were rough, some waxy. Some were forever scarred black whereas others took on their original pigmentation.

He let me explore his ruined flesh a moment longer before lifting my hand to his lips. He kissed my fingers gently, closing his fire eyes as if in pain.

When his eyes opened again, he took my left arm and motioned to the bandage over my cigarette wound. "Sang, this is only one burn, but whoever is hurting you has gotten a taste for it now. They'll burn you worse next time, and worse still the time after. You keep telling yourself that it'll be over soon. You count down the days until you'll be free...hey...none of that..."

Victor took my face into his hands kissing away a few tears I had not realized had fallen. I sniffled as his thumb stroked my cheek. "You're wrong," I tried.

Victor chucked. "Defend them to the ends of the earth, Princess. Just rest easy knowing I know the truth." His expression grew serious as the fire returned to his eyes. "I mean it, Sang. If you allow me to, I will always protect you."

Victor and I had fallen asleep talking. Something about the fact that he had endured the same sort of pain as I made me feel as if we were bonded. He was the sweetest person I had ever met in all ways. Kissing away my tears...who does that? I blushed at the memory of his lips on my skin. I blushed at the realization that I was now cradled in Victor's arms.

He kept me snug against his chest, his shallow breaths leading me in and out of consciousness. He wanted to protect me... The idea was sweet, though I still had my doubts Victor Morgan could combat my mother.

But that was a worry for another day.

Because today I was with Victor, and in my half-conscious state, I made the boldest decision of my life. Don't tell my mother, but I snuck a kiss.

I pressed my lips once to Victor's stubbled cheek, and then quickly tucked my head against his chest.

Well hell, I really think I do love Victor Morgan.