Chapter 55: The Healing Process

-Chapter 55-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

In the end, the only people willing to go back with Matt were North and myself.

The remaining eight guys were not happy that I was leaving again so soon, and it was Dr. Green who talked Matt and North out of taking me with.

Luke put his arms around me as they backed out of the driveway, and I felt a twinge in my heart as Matt met my gaze from the passenger seat. His dark eyes looked slightly concerned, but he gave me a reassuring smile. "We won't get into too much trouble, beautiful."

North leaned over. "Sang, I'll text Luke and Mr. B to let you know when we are on our way back. Rest up, okay?"

I nodded, leaning back slightly into Luke's embrace. He smelt of vanilla. "Be safe," I called as North and Matt drove off into the distance. Was there any more I could have said?

"Don't worry, Miss Sorenson. They will be alright."

I forced myself to look back into the steel gray eyes of Mr. Blackbourne. It took a lot of effort to bite back my tears and feign a smile.

Mr. Blackbourne's eyes softened. He saw right through my false bravado. A tear escaped my eye, followed by another. Luke hugged me a bit tighter, reminding me I was safe with these men.

They weren't going to hurt me.

A choked sob escaped.

Suddenly, Mr. Blackbourne's arms were around me, too. Then Kota's and Nathan's, followed by Dr. Green's, Gabriel's and Victor's. Silas' big arms encircled most of us, and I couldn't fight their group hug.

Fuck.

I didn't want to.

I had been so afraid. I had done terrible things and terrible things had been done to me.

Unforgivable things.

Things that would haunt me for longer than I cared to know.

The sight of that man's head exploding like a watermelon when the bullet struck his skull.

His brains no more than splattered, bloody goo on the walls, sliding to the floor as what was left of the man dropped to its knees before falling dead.

My sobs came harder.

There was the fear I felt when Matt threw me behind him, and I watched as bullets tore into his chest as he shielded me with his own body. He saved my life.

"It'll be alright, Sang." Kota's comforting voice came above all else to my ears.

I hiccupped as his arms went around me. I pressed my face against his chest, wishing I could forget the memories.

There was the man who had touched my breasts, as he washed away the grit from my skin. It was only once...

I squeezed my eyes closed. I was so lucky it was only once. There were so many other people trapped in there, who had much more terrible things happening to them.

People who had been trapped more than a day or two. People who probably screamed until they could scream no more. People who had given up hope that help was coming.

Kota was whispering sweet nothings in my ear. I felt Nathan squeezing my hand, telling me none of this was my fault. Dr. Green was going on about how he wanted to give me a full physical and that he was going to break out his stethoscope.

Despite the situation, I giggled.

I was so lucky, that there were people in this world willing to come save me. There were nine, maybe ten, men in this world willing to search the ends of the earth to bring me home.

"Oh, Pookie, don't you start with that." I felt Dr. Green kiss my hair, but his lips twitched because he was already giggling, too.

I looked up into Kota's green eyes, watching as he broke out into a giggle fit of his own, followed by the others, and then I hugged Kota tight.

I had my men.

I was safe.

I was going to be a part of the Academy now, and when Matt and North return, we will train and become stronger so that we will be ready to save the others.

***

Dr. Sean Green's POV:

I had Pookie in my car so fast, my brother's heads were spinning, well, except for Owen's. He was too preoccupied with his new kitten, Simba. The little orange creature launched itself into Owen's arms the moment he walked through the door.

It's claws tore through the Italian silk of Owen's sleeve and the man did nothing, but press his face into the kitten's fur and mutter apologies as he got it fresh water and food.

I should have gotten Owen a pet years ago. In a week, that kitten had done more to pull the giant stick out of Owen's butt than I had managed in ten years...or perhaps that was Sang's doing.

I looked over to the little sweetheart beside me. She sat in the passenger seat with her knees drawn up to her chest, blonde hair tucked behind one ear.

We were headed to the hospital, Academy wing of course. I wanted a second look at the wounds on Sang's arm and wrists as soon as I could, but it was more than that. As Sang's doctor, I wanted her to confide in me what had happened.

Did we need to provide a day after pill? Was she bruised or cut up in a place I had not yet seen? ...In truth, I wondered if Sang should have a psychological evaluation... She had admitted to shooting a man. She had been molested.

We pulled into the parking lot. I got out of my purple car, and went around the front, opening Sang's door for her. She stepped out onto the pavement, looking up at the sun as if it was for the first time.

We had arrived back in Charleston, South Carolina around noon. It was a two to three hour drive between home and the meeting point that Matthew had assigned us out in Georgia.

"Sang?" I asked, quietly.

She looked over with her big green eyes as we walked. "Yes, Dr. Green?"

"We are going to be entering the hospital through the side door. If you'd like, you can hold my hand..." I found myself biting my lip, unable to look Sang's way. I had been so worried that I had lost this girl. That she would be destroyed when we found her, that she would push me away now, but instead, I felt her fingers brush mine.

"I would really like that, Dr. Green."

Our fingers intertwined as I led her to an examination room.