Chapter 32: Nurse Sang

-Chapter 32-

I stood in the hallway, dazed. How does one recover from a kiss like that? Slowly.

I forced my feet forward and entered exam room one where an older woman sat with her hand extended out to the doctor.

I tried not to pay too much attention to the way Dr. Green's lazy, sandy blond curls seemed to dance as he chuckled. "The rose bushes again, Mrs. Jackson?"

The old woman grinned. "Damned caterpillars want to eat through the leaves."

"Well, let's take a look at your hand here...hmm. Nurse Sang?"

I blushed, taking a step forward.

"How many thorns do you see here?"

I looked over the woman's hand. "Three?"

"Are you asking?"

I shook my head. "No, there's two in her palm and one there at the base of her index finger."

"Very good, Sang. Now let's get some gloves on." He handed me a pair and went to work cleaning the woman's hand before procuring a pair of tweezers. He easily pulled the thorns free and bandaged the woman's hand. "There you are, Mrs. Jackson! Just make sure to go easy on those caterpillars next time." He winked.

We moved down the halls of exam rooms, in which Dr. Green treated every patient. They smiled at him. He smiled back.

I wondered why my mother never wanted me to see a doctor. Doctors made the pain go away. They healed people.

Dr. Green caught me studying him before we slipped into another room and smiled slightly. "You still thinking about our kiss, Pookie?"

"Actually, I was thinking about how good of a doctor you are."

"You think so?"

I nodded.

"It's really the only thing I've ever cared about," he murmured. "I love being here. I love helping people. I spend more time at this hospital than at home."

"Your patients love you, too. I think that says a lot."

Dr. Green put an arm around my shoulder. "Stop being so cute. Let's go get some lunch. How do you feel about apple pie?"

The hospital cafeteria was huge, and there was quite the selection. Dr. Green sat us down with two big slices of pepperoni pizza and a piece of pie to share.

"Mmm. I am so hungry." The doctor moaned as he took a bite of pie.

I didn't know what to say and lifted my pizza to my mouth only to be intercepted by a fork full of apple pie. I moaned just as involuntarily as Dr. Green and blushed as he slowly removed his fork.

His lips were slightly parted, green eyes both curious and shadowed. "So, how are your bruises doing?"

"They are yellowish." I shrugged. "They look gross and still hurt when I move wrong."

Dr. Green scooted his chair close and touched my head. "The bump up here doesn't look too bad. That should be gone by tomorrow and..."

"And?"

"Gabriel said you fainted yesterday. What was that about?"

"Just was tired." I lied, taking a big bite of pizza. Shoot, Gabriel had kissed me! The thought made my heart began to thunder. And now Dr. Green has kissed my lips! And Luke slept in my bed last night. My cheeks were on fire.

I was turning into a whore!

Mother would know what I have been up to. I had shared a bed with a boy. Dr. Green had kissed my lips on purpose. I would be pregnant for sure!

Since Dr. Green had kissed me, did that mean we were dating? Or was I cheating on Gabriel because he kissed me first? My blood went cold. Was I a cheater? Luke and I had slept together...but before all of that, I had kissed Victor's cheek. I squeezed my eyes closed. I was confused and my stomach felt sick.

I shouldn't have kissed anyone.

My friends were going to hate me.

I was going to be alone again.

"Just tired? Are you sure it wasn't because Gabriel kissed your head?"

He knew? My heart sank. Dr. Green knew. So why would he kiss me? Was it a test to see if I would cheat on Gabriel? Dr. Green had already found me in bed with Luke...wasn't that enough?

My mother was right to keep me away from men. My heart couldn't handle this. I gave my first kiss away to someone who was asleep and my second kiss was stolen by a man posing as my teacher in order to test if I would cheat on his brother.

Actually, Dr. Green had stolen my kiss that day in his office...when his hands were brushing over my bruised skin.

The memory left me wanting for something I did not fully understand, and my gaze fell to the floor.

"Gabriel's kiss startled me..." I finally answered.

Dr. Green took another bite of pie. "You didn't faint when I kissed you."

"Because you made--" I shut up, tucking my hands into my lap.

"I made you what?" Dr. Green tilted his head to the side before raising another bit of pie to his lips.

"I...wanted you to kiss me again. You made me want to."

"And Gabriel...?"

"Surprised me," I finished weakly.

"Would you have him do it again?"

"What?" I blushed, certain he couldn't be asking what I thought he was asking.

"Kiss you," smiled Dr. Green. "It's alright if you would."

"That...would make me a slut..." I answered slowly. "I'm sure my mother will find out what I've done with you already." I winced, focusing on the gooey cheese of my pizza.

"Is your mother the one who..." The doctor didn't finish. I hope he couldn't see the answer on my face.

"The one who what?" I asked softly.

Dr. Green shook his head; his serious expression faded into one of sweetness. "Nothing, Pookie." He took my hands. "You should know...my brothers and I share everything, and we want you in our family. I care about you. If you want to kiss me, and hug Gabe and sleep with Luke and all parties are consenting, then there's nothing wrong with that."

"But I--"

Dr. Green put a finger to my lips. "And I consent, Pookie. I like kissing you."