Chapter 80: Endurance

-Chapter 80-

North Taylor's POV:

The phrase running your ass off is taken to a whole new extreme on team Blackbourne.

I was huffing like a fucking train as Kota and Mr. Blackbourne led our asses up an enormous hill. We were off-roading one of the state trails.

"Keep it up, everyone. You're doing good," came Matthew's voice as he picked up the rear.

The fact that he was even out with us had really pissed off Dr. Green. The doctor had wanted Matthew on bed rest for at least another five days.

"Don't push yourself too hard," Dr. Green said as he jogged beside me. "If you feel the stitches pulling at your leg then you need to stop."

I nodded, though I'm not sure he noticed considering how much my head was bobbing as I ran.

We ran in groups of two. Kota and Mr. Blackbourne in the lead. Silas was next and alone because I was so slow today. Then was Nathan and Luke. Victor and Gabe. Me and Dr. Green. Matthew ran with Sang.

She was slower than us and they kept about forty paces behind us. I wondered if Matthew was using her as a reasonable excuse to take it easy.

***

Matthew Eli's POV:

Shit, cardio hurt. I kept my breathing even as I kept even with Sang. She kept to my good side and I was actually very proud of her for not complaining.

Her blonde hair was pulled back into a pony and it looked as if she was getting some satisfaction out of pushing herself.

"Matthew," the doctor called, turning back to look at me. "How is your chest feeling?"

Like I swallowed the fire of a dragon? It burns like hell. "Fine. Don't worry about it."

I noticed Sang looked over to me and somehow she knew I was lying.

"Either way, you shouldn't go much farther." Dr. Green was breathing hard. "You had a lot of internal bleeding and if you tear your insides open again your going to end up in the ICU."

"ICU?"

"Intensive Care Unit, Pookie. Next time we are at the hospital we are going to work on your terminology."

She laughed between pants.

***

Mr. Owen Blackbourne's POV:

I kept lead on the run with Mr. Lee who was huffing and puffing just as hard as I was. We would break for a late lunch soon, and that was when I noticed Sang and Matthew stop running.

We all followed suit. "What's the matter?" I asked over the moans and groans of the boys.

The Taylors both plopped onto the ground. Mr. Morgan was running his fingers through his sweaty hair as he studied Miss Sorenson. There was something similar to envy in his eye as he watched Miss Sorenson blush from something Mr. Eli said.

Mr. Eli finally looked over to me. "The doctor says I need to stop or it could affect my vision."

Sean confirmed this with a nod my way.

"It would be in everyone's best interest to keep going. We can't lose time just because I decided to poke an eye out." His fingers brushed over the bandage and he winced. Sean stepped forward and he said something I didn't quite catch.

I strode up to the little circle, my other brothers talking among themselves.

"...you know what that is, Sang?" She nodded as Sean clasped her on the shoulder. "And you." The doctor turned on Mr. Eli. "If you're feeling any pain, you tell me. This is your head we are talking about. An infection would be very bad, and as tough as you like to think you are, you don't need to be changing those bandages on your own."