Chapter 36: Popcorn

-Chapter 36-

"There's no butter," I told North as he took the bowl. "Or salt. Or caramel."

He mumbled a thank you while I took a seat between Luke and Victor. In normal circumstances I would have been too shy to make such a move, but these were not normal circumstances.

They had the caramel covered popcorn.

Only Dr. Green, Nathan and Kota were missing from movie night, which featured Megamind. Gabriel had brought it over special and I freaking loved it.

I even hugged Gabriel to thank him, though before I did I asked him quietly if hugging was something all friends did. He nodded and the way his eyes seemed to glow with excitement made me feel almost normal.

When the movie ended, a few of the boys had to take off, but they promised we would all do a sleepover this weekend at Victor's when they found out I had never been to a sleepover before.

And as weird as it sounds, I was excited to spend the night with seven boys (Dr. Green and Mr. Blackbourne would not be able to attend for obvious reasons).

I trusted them.

***

I was glad to find out that Luke was one of the guys who were able to stay. He winked at me before I left to change into some pajamas and I knew he meant to come lay with me again.

Don't tell the others, but I was glad.

I didn't usually sleep well on my own. Most nights I didn't manage to pass out until well after 4 A.M.

Because of all these hospital visits, I had slept like a rock the past few nights, but not nearly as well as I slept in Luke's arms with his vanilla and sugar scent wrapping around me.

I let out a quiet moan in anticipation. Whoever knew sleep could be so desirable?

"Ooh, I didn't know I was that good of a cuddler."

I looked back at Luke, startled. I hadn't even heard him come in and it reminded me of the when I used to call him Monkey Boy. He was so quiet, even when he moved through the trees.

"What do you mean?" I tugged my shirt the rest of the way on, thankful it was so dark.

"You made a tiny little moan, and I know that you made it for me."

My skin felt like it was on fire and I knew I was blushing. Luke put his arms around me in the darkness. I felt his lips brush my cheek.

I froze.

At least my legs didn't go out from under me, though a familiar heat traced its way through my belly.

My skin tingled where Luke pressed his kiss. He placed another at the corner of my mouth and when I did not react, he stopped.

I can't do this! Not after my day with Dr. Green. Not after the way Victor made me feel at the piano. Not after Gabriel kissed me.

I can't do this to Luke, too!

"Am I doing something wrong?" Luke asked quietly. His arms fell down to his sides. "Gabriel said he kissed your head and you fainted. I know you like him, and I thought you liked me...so I thought that when I kissed you..." Luke bit his lip. "Shit, I made you cry."

I wiped my arm across my wet eyes. "It's okay. It's just allergies."

Luke pulled me into a tight hug. "I know, Sang." He swept me off my feet then, tossing me into bed. I giggled as I bounced up once, and then Luke was beside me. "Can I cuddle you like yesterday?"

I nodded, taking his hand in mine as he tucked his body around me and pulled up the covers.

***

North Taylor's POV:

It was the dead of night when Luke fucking shook me awake. His blond hair was mussed and he looked slightly flustered, taking a moment to send another message on his phone.

"Why the hell are you waking me?" I grumbled, wanting nothing more than to pull up my covers and pass back out.

Luke rubbed his face. "Kota needs my help on his mission, and I sorta have been sleeping with Sang..."

Oh hell no! I threw off my covers and was halfway down the hall before Luke caught my arm.

He could not be fucking that girl! Sang was going to destroy us! Why couldn't they see what she was going to do to us?

Sure Sang was getting beaten at home. Sure this was something the Academy was supposed to deal with...so let's send another team!

I wished I would have thought of that idea before voting Sang Sorenson in as a member of our family.

"I'm not having sex with Sang!" Luke hissed, drawing me to a halt.

Thank god.

"But we've been, like, cuddling and I didn't want to wake her. Could you just sit in there until I get back?"

"What?" I was outraged. "You expect me to just sit in there and watch her sleep like some sort of weirdo?"

"I think you crossed the weirdo town line when you offered to brush her hair." Luke snickered. "But it seems you've decide to return to Douche Bag City."

"What if she wakes up?"

Luke shrugged. "I don't think she will. I'll be back in a couple of hours."

"But what if she wakes up?" I tried again. I didn't so much like the idea of being alone with Sang.

"Then tell her the truth, North."

***

I swallowed hard as I stood outside of the guestroom door. I couldn't believe I was doing this, but Luke had asked, and in truth I still felt guilty for the months of silence I put him through when we first met.

I pushed open the bedroom door to find Sang spread out on her stomach across the bed. Her blonde hair was long and wild, splayed across her pillow. For pajamas she wore a nightgown that cut off high on her thigh, or perhaps it just hiked up that far.

I looked away, dropping down on the floor beside the bed.

Luke better be back soon.