Chapter 31: Doctor Doctor, Give Me The News!

-Chapter 31-

"Do you like music, Sang?" Dr. Green fiddled with the radio for a moment as we drove. He left the station on the oldies when I gave the OK. "So today we are just going to be putting in clinic hours. No emergency room for us." He clicked off his pager.

"Will I be helping you?"

"Of course, Pookie!" He paused, then smiled broadly. "Owen will have my ass if he catches me calling you that."

"How come? Does it mean something bad?"

"No, here, take out your phone and press the icon next to Google. Hey, what is the definition of pookie?" Dr. Green called into the phone.

I was surprised when the phone reacted.

"Pookie. According to Urban Dictionary, the top definition for pookie is a term used for someone you go with or are married to."

"Go with?" I asked.

"Hang out with," Dr. Green clarified, eyes sparkling with amusement.

We arrived at the hospital and Dr. Green brought me down to his office. "Keep your phone on you at all times in case we get separated," he told me.
I went to tuck my phone in my bra. "Hey!" Dr. Green yelped, scaring me half to death. I lost my hold on the cellphone and it plummeted to the ground, landing face down. I winced, looking back up into the doctor's green eyes.

"Why did you scare me?" I looked down nervously at the phone when he sighed.

"You cannot stuff a cellphone in your bra," Dr. Green said softly.

"I've seen other girls at school do it..."

"And they are making a poor life choice. Putting your cellphone in there can cause breast cancer. A pocket is a much better place for that, rather than against your bare skin."

I bit my lip, reaching down for the phone. It was shattered like a spiderweb down the front. "Oh no...Victor's going to be so mad..."

I grabbed my hair, sinking to the ground. Dr. Green sank with me. "None of this, Pookie. You're okay." The doctor pulled me into a hug that started the waterworks.

I didn't have any idea how much a cellphone was worth, but I knew it had to a lot. I wouldn't be able to pay Victor back. He would be angry and--

"You're spinning," Dr. Green murmured taking my face into him hands. He brushed away a tear. "Victor won't be mad with you, and you don't owe him anything. The phone was a gift."

"I didn't even have it a week."

"Sang, if you don't stop with these tears, I'll be forced to kiss you right there." He touched my bottom lip and I looked up wide eyed.

"You wouldn't dare!"

He grinned, looking devilishly handsome as he leaned forward. My heart stopped as Dr. Green's lips brushed against mine as softly as they had that day in his school office.

I was frozen in place, and when I didn't pull away Dr. Green kissed my lips again, more deeply this time, and once more for good measure. His green eyes held something I did not recognize and he smiled, pulling back. "I would dare, Pookie."

Dr. Green had kissed me.

"Dr. Gr--"

"Sean." The doctor winked, tucking my broken phone into his pocket. "After this, I think you can call me Sean."

"Dr. G--"

"Sean."

"Sean," I repeated, blushing. "You're my teacher. You cannot just..."

His green eyes settled on my lips. "I'm just pretending to be a teacher, Sang. You're seventeen. I'm nineteen, and when you're ready for another kiss, all you have to do is ask."

My cheeks flared.

Kissing Victor's cheek had been innocent. I saw that now. Gabriel had kissed my head. The shock of a boy wanting to put his lips anywhere on me had been such a surprise that my body just shut down like the first time mother had struck me. I didn't know how to process what was happening.

But what Dr. Green had done was more than intentional. He didn't leave anything to the imagination. He wanted to kiss me, so he kissed me. And when I wanted him to kiss me again, all I had to do was ask.

Would I want him to kiss me again?

He turned away.

Dr. Green had made me feel something I had never felt before. It was an unsated hunger for something that had no name.

I blushed, feeling the urge to ask if his kiss had the potential to get me pregnant... Mother had said all it would take was a touch and she would know I had ruined myself.

Sean was a doctor...I just had to ask, but I couldn't will the words to come out and by the time I found the courage, the moment was gone and I followed Dr. Green out into the hospital to begin our day.

He took me past the maternity ward, stopping by the large glass window that overlooked the newborns. He put his hands up on the glass making faces at the babies. I giggled, wondering how a doctor could be so silly.

Dr...Sean gave me a flirtatious scowl. "Oh none of those giggles either, Pookie or you'll get me going. My cure for tears is the same for giggles." He winked before offering his hand and leading me up to the glass.

"They look cute. I've never seen a..." I shut up before I could sound any more stupid.

"Never seen a baby?" Dr. Green finished, and I nodded. "That makes sense. You're the youngest child in your family, right?"

"Yeah, it's just Marie and I. What about you?"

"No siblings, well not that I know of." Dr. Green waved goodbye to the babies before starting off down the hall. "This way."

Why wouldn't he know if he had any siblings?

Dr. Green must have seen my confusion because he stopped outside of a room and chopped my head gently. "I'm adopted, Sang, sweetheart! Don't look so confused."

He took the opportunity to plant another soft kiss on my lips and left me star struck as he dipped into the exam room.

This had to be what love was.