Chapter 50: There's Been a Change of Plans

-Chapter 50: Sang Sorenson's POV-

Something was wrong with Victor. I saw it in his sad brown eyes as I slid to a stop in front of him. Around his neck was a chain and on it hung a dragon.

"Are you okay?" I asked instantly, concern flooding my features as I took his hand into two of mine.

"I should be asking you that," he mumbled. "Are you okay, Princess?"

"No." I smiled.

His frown deepened. "Let's get you into some real clothes. That Eli fellow didn't hurt you, did he?" Victor walked with me to the big black vehicle parked on the edge of the road.

"Matt? No, he...saved my life. These people were shooting at us and he pushed me behind him. He's with the Academy, you know?" I gauged his reaction. He was definatly surprised by my mention of the Academy, and it shook away a bit of that lost look in his eyes.

"He told you about the Academy?"

"Mmhmm, and how you and Mr. Blackbourne and everyone else are all in on it...and you go on missions."

"Sang--"

I had him now. We were away from the others and I pressed my finger up to his lips. "Am I a mission to you? I mean, not this, but before?"

He shook his head and I pulled my finger away. "No, your not a mission. I just want you safe. So do the others..." He went quiet, and I watched the way his hand found the dragon at his chest.

"I really like that," I said.

The corners of Victor's mouth twitched. "It belonged to my mother."

"She has good taste."

"Had. She's dead."

So that's why he was hurting. My heart broke for him.

"My mom didn't leave me. She is dead, and..." Victor's body shook with sadness. "She disappeared when I was little and my father said she'd run off and that she didn't want me. I've hated her for years."

I reached out, my fingers sinking into Victor's white shirt as I brought him into a hug.

Victor was broken.

I couldn't believe how truly broken he was. He had suffered trauma I could not even fathom, and I wished I could wipe it all away.

The fire had gone out in his brown eyes. He had lost a piece of himself, and I hoped if I held him long enough, he would find that piece again.

"Sang?"

"Yes, Victor?"

"Sang, I love you." He rested his head on my shoulder. "I'm so glad you're safe."

I squeezed him until my arm started to burn and then Dr. Green was pulling me off. "I need treat your wounds, Sang."

Gabriel was handing me over clothes, muttering how they weren't quite my size and how they had left in such a hurry. The boys turned and I struggled to get out of Matt's jacket. I was careful to lay out the leather on the hood of the car before changing quickly.

I noticed my wrists had bled through my makeshift bandages, and the burning in my arm had increased after my run through the woods.

Dr. Green opened the car door, and had me sit on the first seat while he stood outside the vehicle. His green eyes searched my face. "What hurts, sweetheart?"

I held out my wrists and he smiled, looking relieved there was some way for him to help me.

He undid the bandages to find raw, ruined flesh. It was oozing and I looked away.

I heard Dr. Green rustling in his bag. "This may sting a little."

I nodded, trying to focus on something else. My gaze caught on North. He looked really angry as he spoke to Matt. Silas was near by, interjecting every so often.

"Miss Sorenson?"

I looked over to see Mr. Blackbourne leaning against the front of the vehicle. "Mr. Blackbourne." I smiled.

"I apologize for not reaching you sooner--"

I held up a hand, or started to. Dr. Green chose then to start with the peroxide. I winced, waiting for the unpleasant sensation to stop.

"Mr. Blackbourne?" I asked finally. "There is no play, is there?"

Confusion swept across his features. "Play?"

"The Romeo and Juliet play. You said the reason you and the guys hang out is because you do plays, but you lied to me."

"Miss Sorenson, you have to understand my reasoning..."

Dr. Green began wrapping my wrists with gauze.

"I don't understand your reasoning. You expect me to trust you, but you hide the biggest part of your lives from me."

"Academy business is not something a girl like you should know about."

"Owen, could you try to not be a complete ass until after I've finished my work?" Dr. Green gave him a not so playful shove before reaching for my arm. "Is this where you were shot, Pookie?"

A perfect, deep line was slashed across my upper left arm. It wasn't really bleeding anymore. "Yeah, I think it looks worse than it is."

"I think we are lucky you're not in shock. This is too far along in the healing process for stitches. You're going to have a pretty big scar."

"I think scars are sexy." Luke's voice came from atop the car as he laid back on the roof.

I couldn't stop my giggle and Dr. Green gave me a look. "Don't you make me go showing you the cure for giggles," he warned, unable to hide his smile before he leaned forward.

"Sang." The sound of Matt's voice made Dr. Green pull back with a sigh. I looked up to see Matthew Eli crossing the dirt road to reach us. "Did these dogs let you know you were accepted into their family?"

I shook my head. "We're just friends, we aren't related."

He glanced back at North. "You people didn't tell her anything? What good does that do?"

"It protects her." Mr. Blackbourne's words were sharp as he stood off with Matt.

"From what? She was kidnapped already. The big guy said she's getting beaten at home, and you all do what? Hide the very organization that could change all that for her?"

If looks could kill, Matt would be dead. All nine of the boys were glaring at him.

"Don't think I don't know what's going on here. You all like her. You accepted her into your family and are hoping to have a relationship with her like the Toma team has.

"If you all protect her and she doesn't know she can protect herself, she'll always need you. That's not fair to her, so..."

"So, what?" Mr. Blackbourne was pissed, arms folded over his chest. The others were no better.

Matt smiled slightly at me and I felt my heart pick up beat. "So, I've contacted the Academy. I told them about Sang, and I have been appointed the new leader of Team Blackbourne."

Everyone's cellphones went off at once.