Chapter 59: Home Base

-Chapter 59-

Victor Morgan's POV:

I felt better with Silas here. It was too soon to tell the others, but Silas I could trust. It had been like this since he had joined our family.

As quiet as he was, Silas was very observant and he was the first to figure out that my father had still been burning me and worse over the years.

"So are you going to tell me about that necklace now, Victor?" the Greek asked, tilting his head to the side.

I found myself hesitating, and Silas smiled.

"Come now, there's no secrets between brothers. Share the burden here." He put a hand over his heart.

"I think it's my mother's necklace," I said quietly. Saying it out loud made me feel silly, but the dragon was unmistakable. "And I found it back in that terrible place, and I know...if this necklace was there, so was my mom...and maybe she didn't leave me on purpose."

Silas nodded. "So how do you think your mother ended up in such a place?"

I shrugged. I was toying with a few ideas, but had nothing substantial yet.

"Well, try not to shut down on us again. You really worried the team."

"I know...I'm sorry."

***

Owen Blackbourne's POV:

"Must I repeat myself? You did what, Sean?"

Sean leaned against the wall, sticking his thumbs in the pockets of his slacks. His green eyes appeared calm and his smile looked teasing, but I saw right through him.

A doctor wouldn't just tell an impressionable girl that going around kissing all her friends was normal.

Something more was going on here, I realized as a sinking feeling settled over me. It was the same feeling I got when I walked in on Sean and Sang in my office, with his hands on her bruised bare stomach as his lips grazed her cheek.

Sean's hair was a mess of lazy curls as he tilted his head to the side trying to figure out my most serious Mr. Blackbourne face. It was an expression I had honed to strike fear in even my most proclaimed adversary.

"Why would you tell her that, Dr. Green?"

"Oh, I'm Dr. Green now, am I?"

My eyes narrowed.

Sean winced. "Fine. Fine, Owen, just stop with the cold, steel eyes thing. It weirds me out." He brushed off his chest. "I know it wasn't right, but...I..." He mumbled something.

My ears didn't pick up on it, but Mr. Taylor went white as a ghost. "Dr. Green, are you fucking kidding?" He spoke so quietly it even gave me the shivers.

For a moment, it was nice to know I wasn't in charge of this bunch. I was as clueless about what to do with Miss Sorenson as the rest of them.

It was nice to have someone else calling the shots with her. Someone not emotionally invested.

Plus he had saved Miss Sorenson's life. From what the Academy had conveyed, Mr. Matthew Eli already had Miss Sorenson under his protection before we had even requested the extra assistance.

Mr. Matthew Eli was a good man. He did right by us, despite his unfriendly disposition.

"No, Luke. I kissed Sang."

Mr. Taylor's eyebrows shot up, along with Mr. Griffin's and Mr. Lee's.

"Calm yourselves, gentlemen. Dr. Green only kissed her on accident."