Chapter 67: Finding Matthew

-Chapter 67-

Mr. Owen Blackbourne's POV:

The front door slammed closed, and as Luke looked to me with wide eyes, I was struck by the realization that perhaps I was unfit to be team leader.

I couldn't handle one little girl.

Miss Sorenson shifted the entire dynamic of our team, and because of Matthew, that dynamic was going to be even more askew.

"Mr. Taylor, go after her. She's probably trying to get to the hospital."

"Should I just take her?"

"Whatever you think is best. I just didn't want to worry her with what she would see. She's had a trying weekend and deserved a rest."

"And instead we have to go to the hospital to visit her new pirate friend."

"Pirate friend?"

"Because I'm sure he'll be getting an eyepatch." Luke grinned.

***

Luke Taylor's POV:

Sang was full on sprinting down the street. She was fast. Silent. Her blonde hair was a ribbon behind her, but I was faster.

I scooped her up into a spinning hug two and a half blocks from Mr. Blackbourne's house. She cursed at me in the cutest of ways, looking up at me with angry green eyes. "You can't stop me," she was saying, trying to fight her way out of my arms. "He saved my life. I should be there. I should know--"

I caught her chin, tilting her face to mine in the early morning light. The sound of sprinklers could be heard as the pink rays of dawn explored the sky.

"Sang, I'll take you to the hospital." Her eyes widened with relief. "But you'll owe me a favor."

She instantly nodded. "Okay, Luke." She took up one of my hands. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

***

Matthew Eli's POV:

Half of my face was in bandages and the constant beep beep beep of the monitor I was connected to was driving me right out of my mind.

I would have groaned, but it hurt to bad. My insides were all bruised up from the car accident and where the bullets had struck through the Kevlar vest.

In truth, I was surprised to be alive. I was stabbed through the eye and had been vomiting blood. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket...

I didn't sleep well in hospitals. I had spent too much time in them as a boy, and Dr. Green offered to give me some sleep aids. He wasn't such a bad guy.

I drummed my fingers on the edge of the bed. They said my bandages could come off in two weeks, but honestly, I couldn't give one fuck about my eye.

Shit happens.

Shit always happens.

That's the golden rule of life.

At the moment, all I cared about was how Sang was doing, but every time I mentioned her name, Dr. Green got all bashful before declaring that he had other patients to check on and couldn't play favorites.

Favorites? He was just being evasive.

North had finally been talked into taking a nap. He had been up half the night sitting at my bedside waiting for me to wake up after surgery. Not creepy at all waking up to North watching over you when the last thing you remember is some weird fucking memory of that guy's mouth on yours.