50

-Chapter 50-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

It was Sunday and we were going to the gun range. Matt knew a guy who had foraged the necessary documentation needed for me to get in and the next thing I knew, we were all lined up in stalls looking down at black target paper.

We all wore ear defenders, so it surprised me when Matt came up from behind. "Sang," he greeted. "How is it coming?"

The sound of guns unloading around us was dulled by the muffs. My target hadn't been punctured yet. "I can't find the safety," I admitted. Matt pushed in a little button on the side of my gun.

"Shoot away, just not at me." He smirked. I took aim at the target and unloaded three bullets. Each hit the inner circle of the target and I grinned, feeling like a badass.

"Do that again." Matt's voice sounded behind me.

I did. Pieces of the targets center tore away. I clicked the safety on before looking back at Matt. He looked... rather pleased. "Let's find you a farther target to work with. Come follow me."

I did just as well at the target set at thirty yards and forty yards. At fifty yards, I had to focus a bit harder and by sixty, Matt handed me his gun. "Better accuracy," he explained.

And then the targets were going down easily again. Sixty feet. Seventy feet. Eighty feet. Bullseye. Bullseye. Bullseye.

When I looked back at Matt he was beaming a full-on white smile. "You're fucking excellent." He ran his fingers through his dark hair. "Seriously, fucking phenomenal! Flip that safety on and come with me."

I blushed as Matt took my hand, pulling me towards the rest of the team. He pulled out his phone and shot off a few text messages.

When we reached the others, Matt motioned first to Gabriel who was doing well at twenty yards, his shots wavering as much as mine had at the eighty yard line. Kota was no better.

Mr. Blackbourne shot at thirty. Nathan was at forty. Victor and North shot at fifty. Silas was at sixty, and Luke and Dr. Green were at seventy yards.

When we went home, Matt let me keep my target from the eighty yard line. He said that he was really proud.

Tomorrow we would be going to infiltrate the building in which I had been held. Matthew predicted there were about twenty women being held there, and twice as many guards after we had shot through their defenses last time.

Matthew was working on getting us bulletproof vests and a surplus of weaponry, which was difficult to do without proper documentation, but Matthew said he had a guy, and that was that.

Matthew seemed to have a guy for everything.

I heard the door to my bedroom open and tentatively peeked out to see Luke standing there rubbing his arm.

"What's up?" I asked, brushing my hair out of my face. It was messy and knotted from all of my sleepless tossing and turning.

"I can't sleep," he mumbled. "I thought North was going to stay the night, but he had some other team call. I guess they broke down on the side of the road or something..." Luke paused, looking away.

I wanted ask him if he wanted to stay in here with me, but I wasn't sure if that was allowed anymore. Probably not after the family meeting.

I bit my lip.

It would have been easier if these boys never touched me to begin with, because losing their touch sucked. "Did you have a nightmare?" I asked.

Luke shrugged. "Yeah...I've had worse, but I just...my mom was in this one."