Chapter 13: Greek for Lunch?

-Chapter 13-

Gabriel intercepted me at the doorway to the History classroom. "Hey, Trouble!"

I gave a shy wave and was surprised to see Gabriel's cheeks go red as he looked away to North. The two whispered a moment as a big arm draped itself over my shoulder.

Leather and cypress.

I looked up to see Nathan and his spiky red brown hair. His eyes were trained on North as if he could hear him over the dull roar of the student body.

Nathan must have sensed my eyes on him because he suddenly looked down. "How's your first day going, Peanut? No one is giving you trouble, right?"

I shook my head quickly. "No trouble." Why would he think there was trouble?

Nathan smiled. "Good, let's go get a seat while these ladies keep to their gossip."

Gabriel shot him a scowl as Luke waved goodbye, and North, well North didn't look at all.

Nathan found us a group of three seats. The grouping had me at the end of a row. Nathan sat in front of me and Gabriel took the seat to my right.

In truth, I kind of liked that a couple of the guys would be in each of my classes. I didn't have to find friends, or scramble for group partners...I didn't have to sit next to strangers.

Gabe shot me a smirk across the row as the History teacher, Mr. Groves, took center stage and gave us the same old same old.

There came a syllabus and a history text book, followed by a no nonsense speech and a small reading from chapter one of American History.

We read in silence.

When the bell rang, I looked up to see Nathan sliding a handful of notes into his backpack. Gabriel was doing the same. When he caught me staring he smirked again. "Oy, Trouble, you see something you like?"

My cheeks flushed and to make matters worse, Nathan dropped an arm across my shoulders. "Knock it off, Gabe. Luke asked for me to make sure you don't break her."

"What the hell could I do? Make her blush to death?"

Nathan chuckled as they guided me into the hall. I had the sinking feeling I was the butt of their joke.

Gabriel took my hand.

I wondered how I looked to other people? Not good, I presumed when I spotted Marie's friend Danielle giving me the stink eye.

I watched as she rolled her eyes, tucking a brown lock of her bobbed hair behind her ear before grabbing the elbow of a nearby girl and directing her gaze to me.

The words 'what a slut' carried to my ears. I grimaced, shrugging out from under Nathan's arm. It was then he seemed to take notice of Danielle. "That girl is such a spiteful bitch," he breathed, quietly enough that I knew I was not meant to hear.

Gabriel chuckled. "Oy, Nate. It's your fault for having sex with her."

It was at that moment hell froze over.

Nathan and Danielle had sex?

Nathan winced at my expression. What my expression consisted of, I had no idea. Horror? Shock maybe? "We dated for a little bit," he tried to explain. "Her brother is really cool, and she seemed--"

I surprised us all with a laughed as I held up my hand. "Please stop. I really don't want to know."

Gabriel drew me into a half hug, inadvertently pulling me farther away from Nathan. "Oh Trouble, don't you worry. I'll protect your virgin ears from that idiot."

Nathan rolled his eyes, tromping after us to the busy lunch room.

Silas and North had claimed us a table, putting their feet up to halt any and all trespassers.

Gabriel and Nathan left me at the lunch table, disappearing into the crowd. I tried not to make a face at North. He looked grumpy, and I was pretty sure he rolled his eyes at me as I sat down.

Silas seemed to notice North's off putting attitude because suddenly he was belting Greek. "Δεν σας αρέσει Sang?" (You do not like Sang?)

North's eyebrows raised in surprise and responded in the same tongue. "Εκείνη δεν χρειάζονται τη βοήθειά μας. Σίγουρα, έχει ένα όμορφο πρόσωπο, αλλά στο τέλος είναι ότι είναι ακριβώς όπως κάθε άλλη κοπέλα." (She doesn't need our help. Sure, she has a beautiful face, but in the end is she is just like any other girl).

I groaned, sliding into my seat and dropped my head to the table. "Stop it. I don't have to learn this stuff until next hour."

"Learn what?" Victor asked, sliding into the seat next to me.

I motioned to North and Ser Silas, the Mountain. "They just speak in Greek, and I'm fairly certain North hates me because I helped Luke prank him..."

"You did distract me on purpose!" North snarled, turning back on Silas so the Greek war could begin.

Victor poked me. "Won't it be nice to know what they're saying?"

The way those fire eyes of his looked me over had me blushing, and Victor took it as an opportunity to cover my hand with his beneath the table.

"Yeah, I guess..." I breathed as North pointed at me and Victor, speaking so quickly the words came as one Greek growl.

At the call of the word ξεμυαλίστρα, (temptress), Silas was out of his seat, and I swore, internally waiting for the knight to draw his greatsword.

"Sit down, Silas." The sound of Kota's voice was more frightening than a hundred Norths. "You're making a scene."

The giant sat, eyes dark as he took my other hand beneath the table. "I'm sorry, Aggele Mou." He grumbled, starting to pick at his french fries.

The other boys filled in around the table as I freed both my hands from the boys and tucked them into my lap.

Well, I suddenly feel awkward as hell.

The urge to dip out of school was so strong, that I hadn't even realized I was rising until Victor touched my arm. "Are you alright, Princess?"

I nodded, my butt plummeting to the bench. Shit. I couldn't just walk out on them. Seven pairs of eyes were trained on me. They weren't talking. Could they tell I was uncomfortable?

Damn it, Sang!

Force a fucking smile!

The corners of my lips twitched upward. "Please stop staring at me." Well, that didn't sound nice.

I watched as Kota's mouth turned into a frown. It matched the expression on North and Nathan's face. Luke's eyebrows were raised, but then he made a kissy face and winked and...and well I lost it.

I fell into a giggle fit.

And then Luke was laughing, too, followed by Gabriel and I didn't miss the soft chuckle Kota tried to bite back.

Silas put his arm around me, effortlessly pulling me down the bench until our hips touched. He offered me his fries.

"What, didn't you bring a lunch of your own?" asked North, stealing away my tiny sense of comfortability.

I looked up at Grumpy, a fry caught between my fingers. "Ah, no. I woke up late. I...think my alarm is broken." I dropped the fry back onto the tray, spying a kitten running around in the grass outside of the glass double doors of the school. Scraggle Beard from second hour was chasing the poor thing. "Hey, I just remembered I have somewhere to be. I'll...catch you guys later."

"Sang," North tried as he rose to his feet.

"Oh, Northie poo," I tsked. "Sit your butt down and eat your fancy lunch. I can go where I want, when I want and you can't tell me otherwise."

With that, I scampered off, exiting the cafeteria before making a break for the outside doors.