Chapter 35: Making Friends

-Chapter 35-

I awoke to the words why the fuck do you already have that, and Gabriel's maniacal laugh.

Big arms were around me and I was suddenly looking into Silas' dark eyes. He smiled softly. "Sorry if they woke you. Gabriel was really excited that you broke the coffee table."

"North's body broke the coffee table," I grumbled, trying not to think to hard as to how I ended up asleep against Silas' big...strong...chest...

One of my hands was over his heart. I could feel his pulse quicken and realized I was practically straddling him. "I..." Something hard was growing between the vee of my thighs. What the heck was that? I was about to reach down and find out when Silas caught my hand.

"Aggele," he warned.

I looked up confused, my brow furrowing. "You don't feel that? There's something down there...like a remote or something," I said, trying to reach again, but by now Silas had both of my wrists captured in his big hands.

"Are you teasing me?" he asked seriously as he brought his face close to mine. So close, I thought he might try to kiss me.

I blinked. "Teasing?" Suddenly the mystery between my thighs jumped and I squealed, lifting myself. "It's alive! Kill it, Silas! Don't let it get me!"

Silas rumbled and it took me a moment to realize he was laughing. "You aren't teasing?"

"Is it gone?" I looped my arms around his neck to keep from slipping down.

He laughed harder before scooping me up into his arms.

***

Gabriel and Luke were in the living room putting together a new coffee table. Mr. Blackbourne stood with his arms crossed. "Where were you keeping that, Mr. Coleman?"

"Under the couch at Pam's. The box wasn't that big. I have been waiting six years for someone to destroy that ugly piece of shit you call furniture. When I see Trouble, I am going to give her the biggest--"

Silas cleared his throat and everyone looked at us, as he set me on my feet. "You'll give what to Aggele Mou?"

"Hug...of her life," Gabriel finished, rolling his shoulders as he looked to me. He was dressed in a black uniform likely from the diner. He must not have had a chance to change before he came over. I liked how messy his blond-brown hair was. The different colors were mixed together and I noticed the way his blue eyes gleamed as he took hold of my shoulders.

Gabriel didn't spin me in his arms like Silas. He didn't tackle me like Luke. Instead, Gabriel put his arms around my waist and pressed me against his chest.

He was muscled like his brothers. His hands were warm on my back and when his lips grazed my ear, my breath caught. "Thank you for destroying that fucking table, Trouble. I owe you a favor," he whispered.

When Gabriel stepped back, I was redder than a tomato and everyone was looking.

"Jeezus, Gabe. What are you trying to do, make her combust?" Luke laughed, giving me a wink.

"Gentlemen when you are about through, we can do dinner and a movie."

I looked around. "Am I spending the night again? My bruises are mostly better, I really could--"

"That's enough, Miss Sorenson," Mr. Blackbourne gave me the smallest smile known to man. The kind where the corners of one's mouth slightly lift in an almost unnoticeable fashion. "What ever you are worried about, whether it be my wrath due to the damage to the coffee table, nervousness of staying here, or North--"

I crossed my arms. "I'm not worried about North. In fact, North better watch out, because the next time I see him--"

"You'll what?" he growled, pushing through the swinging door of the kitchen.

I had prepared a witty answer, I really had, but North was nursing his right arm and I realized he must have sliced it open when I knocked him back against the glass table top.

And just like that I was at North's side. "Shit, I...I'm really sorry, North. I didn't realize you got hurt." His arm was in my hands. "Is the cut deep? I would have apologized sooner if I knew I had hurt you. Do you think it will scar? I hope it doesn't scar...We should ask Dr. Green."

I reached for my phone, but it was not in my pocket. I forgot I had broke the screen.

"Here, Aggele." Silas handed over his cellphone, and I thanked him brightly before North snuck the phone out from my fingers.

"No, Sang. I already talked to Dr. Green. Don't worry about this. It was my fault."

I tilted my head. "How is it your fault? Well I suppose you could have pumped some more iron so as to not get knocked down by a girl so easily." I pressed a finger to my lip, and North looked helplessly to Mr. Blackbourne.

"Mr. B, she's making it impossible to apologize."

My insides twisted a bit, and my finger fell away. "North, if you meant what you said then you shouldn't apologize."

"Oh, I definitely meant what I said."

"Mr. Taylor..." Mr. Blackbourne warned.

North just rolled his shoulders. "No, she's right, Mr. Blackbourne. What is the point of apologizing if I don't mean it?"

"It is a matter of decency, Mr. Taylor."

"I prefer honesty to decency," I said softly. I looked up to North. "I'm sorry for pushing you. I did not think you would fall, and I didn't think you would get hurt, and I'm sorry for slapping you in the face when you were down."

North simply grunted, looking away.

"Thank you, Miss Sorenson, for rising to the occasion. How about you come with me and we will prepare something for the others."

I looked up at Mr. Blackbourne curiously. This was the first time he ever asked to spend time with me directly. Perhaps I was in trouble.

The kitchen was a nice place to escape the others, and Mr. Blackbourne swapped the idea of making dinner for preparing a mountain of popcorn instead. Something told me Mr. Blackbourne was not the cooking type.

We were on our fourth batch before Mr. Blackbourne said anything to me that didn't involve the rigorous popcorn process. "I meant what I said, Miss Sorenson."

"Hmm?" I dumped another bag of popcorn into the third large bowl.

"I appreciate you apologizing to Mr. Taylor."

"Well, I did draw blood." I snuck a piece of popcorn and then another.

Mr. Blackbourne prepared another bowl. "Do you like it here?"

I heated up butter in the microwave, pouring its buttery goodness all over the kernels. "It's a nice home. I like spending time with all of you. I..." Mr. Blackbourne pulled the last popcorn bowl out of reach before my butter waterfall could come crashing down. I looked up into Mr. Blackbourne's steel eyes and realized he was waiting for me to continue. "I have never had friends before. Not like this. No one has ever wanted to hug me before. No one has cared like this." I set the butter down to hug my arms, and Mr. Blackbourne seemed to understand he crossed a line.

"Thank you for sharing with me, Miss Sorenson. I will not betray your confidence." Mr. Blackbourne handed me the butterless popcorn. "That one is special for North. You should bring it to him."

Because that's a great idea.