Chapter 20: Bruises and Ice

-Chapter 20-

Gabriel and Nathan had saved me a desk in History, and Gabriel made sure to spend the hour playing with my ratty hair. He must have disapproved of my outfit for the day as well because he kept muttering that there was a reason they took me shopping.

Half way through the hour, the teacher took mercy on us and allowed us to complete our history assignment in groups. Gabriel immediately took up my hand, inspecting it for presumably bruising before giving my fingers a squeeze. "Hey, Trouble. How are you feeling?" His crystal blue eyes searched mine in a way that made my stomach clench guiltily.

I forced a big smile to my face. "Great. Dr. Green took care of me. I'll be fine."

Nathan wagged his iphone in my face. "Don't you lie to us, Peanut. Dr. Green already warned us of your trickery. We are to bring you to the nurse right after the bell rings."

I pouted, moving to cross my arms, but could only wince as pain shot across my stomach. Maybe I should have Dr. Green take a look at the cigarette burn as well...but then he would know that something was happening at home...I could tell him I did it to myself?

"Oy, none of that pouting, Trouble or the next time you fall out of a tree I won't catch you."

I grinned. "You wouldn't save me?"

"Not if you keep giving me that lip," Gabriel smirked, rubbing his thumb across my bottom lip in a way that caused my breath to catch. "And no more lying either, because friends don't keep secrets."

"And we are friends, aren't we Peanut?"

The sound of the bell scared the bajeezus out of me, and Gabriel laughed sweetly, helping me to my feet. "Can I take her, Nate?"

"Sure thing...after Sang answers my question. Are we friends, Peanut?"

I nodded quickly. "Yes, I'm sorry for running off."

"You should be sorry, Trouble. If you wouldn't have run away, maybe the guys and I could have stopped you from getting hurt..."

"I just fell," I mumbled as Gabriel took up my backpack.

"I used to fall a lot, too Trouble." Gabriel's eyes searched out a path for us down the hall as he took my hand again. "Sometimes I still fall, but now that I have my brothers, it doesn't happen as much."

Did Gabriel know about my mother? He clearly suspected I didn't really fall. I knew what sarcasm was.

I licked my lips.

And if Gabriel said that he used to fall too, did that mean he was getting beaten at home?

I squeezed Gabriel's hand, wishing I had the courage to hug him. No one should have to deal with that.

Gabriel looked down at me and smirked. "Oy, none of that mushy shit, Trouble. I know you won't say what's going on at home out loud, but just know me and my brothers are here for you, too. If you need help, we will be there."

"I'll just break out my Bat-signal when I'm in trouble."

Gabriel chuckled. "You should save those jokes for Kota. Say one cute thing about his superheros and just watch his face."

"Does he like superheroes?"

"Wait until you see all the comics stuffed under his bed. The guy doesn't own an issue of Playboy amidst the five hundred comics jammed under there."