Chapter 86: Sharp Dressed Man

-Chapter 86-

Sang Sorenson's POV:

Home Room wasn't too bad, I decided as I stepped into the classroom. All of the boys were there aside from Matt and Dr. Green. Silas hadn't released my hand either and I would have been okay if he never did.

Mr. Blackbourne stood at the front of the room and raised an eyebrow at our interlocked fingers. His expression read 'did we not just talk about this?' but he made no move to separate us.

I was still uncertain as to why I had to attend school at all, but I decided to put my question on the back burner and wait for a time I could speak to Matt alone about that.

"Good morning, Miss Sorenson." Mr Blackbourne greeted. "Everyone."

We all gave our respective hellos and took our seats.

"So, today is our first day back. Brave faces are highly advised. Mr. Hendricks will likely be watching our every move, especially you, Miss Sorenson."

I sank into my desk trying to disappear.

"He won't attempt to come after her again, will he?" asked Victor.

"Not while I'm fucking breathing, he won't." North's words were little more than a growl.

"I'm with North. I will kill the next person who tries to hurt Aggele Mou."

Why did that make me feel slightly pleased? Was I a bad person? I shrugged the guilt away, not about to pass up the gift of Silas and North basically signing on to be my personal body guards.

"You will kill no one, Mr. Korba."

"Unless Matthew commands it," muttered six feet of Greek as the giant crossed his arms over his broad chest. His feet touched mine under my desk.

"Taking a life is wrong, Mr. Korba, under any circumstance."

I felt my heart sinking again and at the same moment I almost giggled. Fuck, today was just going to be an emotional rollercoaster, wasn't it? My principal had kidnapped me. My mother hated me. I had shot people in the head.

"Well, I wouldn't say any fuckin' circumstance," Gabriel interjected. "If I were Trouble I would have killed every last one of those sick fuckers."

Mr. Blackbourne's steel eyes flickered over my face, trying to read my unreadable expression. For once I didn't feel like an open book.

"Miss Sorenson, I did not mean..." He wasn't sure how to continue.

I smiled. "You didn't mean to insinuate it was wrong to defend myself. Is that what you are trying to say, Mr. Blackbourne?"

"Precisely." He adjusted his glasses. "I do not need you boys going out and shooting people. Hunting people down is very different from defending oneself."

"Don't call us boys," grumbled North. "Almost all of us are eighteen."

"Excuse me, Mr. Taylor. I had not realized the term offended you so." The corner of Mr. Blackbourne's mouth twitched.

"Are you mocking me?"

The bell rang, saving Mr. Blackbourne from having to answer. I took a deep breath, trying to harden myself for the journey through the hallway, but Silas' hand found its way into mine again.

North was nearby and so was Gabriel. I felt a sudden resolve deep within me, and I was able to keep my head held high as we walked through the crowd. Students jumped out of Silas' way. North was no better, storming through the halls like nobody's business.

"Aggele," Silas said, holding me back in front of the biology classroom. "If anyone is bothering you, tell them I'm your boyfriend."

What?! "Silas...?"

"Trust me. It'll help stop a lot of people from becoming problems. Mr. Blackbourne is having North and I join the football team, the coach has been hounding us since day one. If you say your with me..."

"People are scared of you, so they will stay away from me if we say we're together?"

"Yes."

"You're not really that scary."

"Not with you, Aggele, but I'm more frightening than North if the situation calls for it. Go on to class. I will see you at lunch."

As Silas turned to go, I reached out for him. "Silas, thank you for holding my hand. I know your not supposed to and I said...a lot of things, but..."

His smile made my words fall away and I found myself blushing. Was it strange for a killer to feel so shy? I wanted him to kiss me...like before. His dark eyes were searching mine. He didn't want to leave, I realized with a start. This pleased me too.

He mumbled something in Greek, trying to hide another smile as he looked away.

When I entered the biology classroom almost every desk was filled. I couldn't even get a seat near North or Gabriel, and North looked well beyond pissed. He was seated near the door and Gabriel had chosen a place near the front.

I took a desk in the second row behind a short-haired brunette who was smacking loudly on her chewing gum. Behind me was a boy with chocolate brown hair. I tried not to look at him as I dropped down into my seat.

Something poked me in the shoulder almost instantly.

Ignore it.

Poke.

Ignore

Poke.

Ignore.

Poke.

A note fluttered onto my desk. Then came another. The bell rang as I pushed the notes to the corner of my desk. I could barely bring myself to look up at Matt, but oh hell, was I glad I looked up.

I'm not sure if I had ever ogled someone before, but there was no other word for what my eyes did as Matt stepped into the classroom.

He wore a dark suit vest with a light button down beneath. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and the fabric was pulled taut across thick muscles. A tie was tucked into the vest and fitted dark jeans started at his hips. By the time my eyes wandered to his face, he had taken his place at the whiteboard, uncapping a marker.

He still had on a black eyepatch, but the usual bandages that graced his head had been removed. His dark red hair was messily styled and I couldn't help but notice how many girls in the room shifted in their seat.

Even bubblegum girl in front of me had stopped her incessant smacking.

"My name is Mr. Eli." He wrote his name on the board. "Yes, I am a new teacher here. Yes, I have an eyepatch. And no, I am not a pirate. We are here to learn biology. Remember, you are here because you either failed biology last year or have already managed to be kicked out of another class.

"I do not promote failure. I do not tolerate bullshit. And I expect to never have to see your faces in this class after this semester because you will do your work, and you will pass this class."

I almost expected to hear a cheer rise up from the student body, but there was only silence.

"Does anyone have any questions?"