Chapter 58: JK. Let's Walk!

-Chapter 58-

North Taylor's POV:

Fire was on either side of us as I followed Matthew Eli down the dirt road. He walked like a man, unharmed, though his shadow cast a strange rainbow on the ground near his eye where a shard of glass protruded.

Shit, no wonder Sang admired this guy. We just got wrecked. He pulls me out of burning car crash. He's fucking blinded and he just carries on his way.

I was limping, I knew. The right side of my jeans were torn open and something had slashed my leg.

My head hurt pretty bad, too, though I wasn't bleeding.

I hurried to catch up with Matthew. The man took long, sure strides, though when I got closer, I could see how he was gritting his teeth. His hands were shaking, and more often than not he was rubbing his palms together.

I tried not to look at his eye. If I did, I knew I would vomit again. I'm not one with a weak stomach, but to see an eye bleeding around a giant piece of glass... His eyelid was forced partly open from the angle the shard went in and--

I puked in the dirt.

"Keep up, North. That fire is going to eat up all the oxygen." Matthew's voice did not so much as waver.

We walked for a few hours in silence. I was surprised that no one came to put out the fires. The fields were left to burn, and we outwalked the flame.

We were almost to the edge of the forest, and from here we could see two men near Matthew's bike. One sat on the seat, pretending to rev the engine while the other one laughed. Only forty yards separated us.

The light breeze carried their voices our way; their backs were to us.

"...very nice bike..."

"Little bit of good searching for those assholes..."

"...shot Michael in the head..."

"...pissed..."

Matthew tilted his head to the side. I suppose he didn't see the men straight off. I couldn't fault him for that. "I recognize one of the voices. His name is Pyke or something."

"...hope we find...wet my dick..."

Laughter.

"...guy in the shadows...creeps me out..."

"It's just a story."

"No, they say he helped...escape...and he's the one making men disappear."

"Bullets in the head...not disappearing..."

"...some Phantom of the Opera shit right there."

Matthew was making his pissed off face and I watched as he withdrew his remaining handgun from its holster.

"...ghost is said to be the...of the...and he's trying to take his revenge...little brat doesn't--"

The sound of the gun going off made my blood run cold. Bang! Bang! Half of Pyke's head was blown away, knocking him sidelong off the bike.

The grass was splattered in bloody chunks at the same moment the other man spun around and took a bullet in the chest. The bullet exploded out his back. The man grabbed for his heart, but only succeeded in falling to his knees...and then falling dead.

"Mother fuckers think they know what the fuck they are talking about..." Matthew practically growled as he stormed up to his motorcycle. It was a decent sized bike. We both would fit. "Get your shit off my bike, you lilly-livered, cock sucking, fucktard..." Mathew was still going as he wiped the dead man's blood from his seat using the dead man's shirt.

It would have been almost humorous if we weren't 100 miles away from Sang Baby and I hadn't witnessed the murder of two likely rapists.

"Let's go, North," Matthew called. "There's enough gas in her to get us at least to civilization. Remember, all we have to do is get to a phone." Matthew got onto the bike, waiting for me to get on behind him.

He expected me to let him drive...like that? The chunk of glass in his head flashed in the sunlight. He could only see out of one eye...

"Oh, for fuck's sake, North. Let's go! Quit staring at the glass in my eye and get on before you pass out."

Pass out? Now that he mentioned it, I was extremely lightheaded. My heart wouldn't stop racing either, and I was pretty sure I had a concussion...

I did as I was ordered.

I mean. The man was out of his fucking mind, and he had a gun.

A familiar roar filled me as Matthew started the bike. It gave me the determination to keep my eyes open as we zoomed back onto the dirt road, past the fields of fire, and headed out to find salvation.

***

Luke Taylor's POV:

Sang came in looking like a dream. I use the word dream because she was smiling much more than she ought to be.

She even giggled when Nathan scooped her up into a spinning hug. She hugged him back, the lucky bastard.

She went to Kota next. I heard her apologize for earlier, when she had flinched away from his touch. Kota sighed, hugging her. He even pressed a kiss to her hair and told her everything was alright.

"Trouble..." Gabe already had his arms open wide as he swooped in and stole Sang away.

I was next.

Sang hugged me fiercely, burying her face into my blue shirt, mumbling something.

"What was that, Sugar?"

"I said, we never got to go on our date." She looked up at me, chewing her lip, debating on something unbeknownst to me.

She rose up on her tiptoes.

"Sang?"

The doctor's voice made Sang's entire face flush red. "Yes?"

"You should get changed into some pajamas and we will watch a movie out here."

"I'll go with her!" Gabe piped up as Sang looked around.

"Where's Victor?"

Gabe's shoulders slumped slightly, but then Sang took his hand.

"Victor had some things he wanted to take care of at home. He should be back later tonight." A look passed between Dr. Green and Mr. Blackbourne. "Silas went with him, so he'll be back later, too."

"Come on, Trouble." Gabe took her upstairs, leaving me with the awkward people.

"So..." I said, raising an eyebrow at Dr. Green. "You kind of cock blocked me when Sang got on her tiptoes there."

The doctor ran a hand through his sandy blond hair. "I don't know what you're talking about, Luke."

Even Mr. Blackbourne raised an eyebrow at that. "Sean, what are you hiding?"

The doctor shrugged. "Nothing. I just...thought she should put on something a little more comfortable...and perhaps keep her distance from you all until I have a chance to explain how I kind of told Sang that she could kiss us...all...on the mouth and that it is just something friends do."

Nathan choked on his soda. "You taught that little peanut, what?"

"What? Sean? What the hell were you thinking?"

Kota's cheeks were on fire, though he said nothing.

I was surprised to find a big grin on my face, one that was identical to Dr. Green's flirty smile. "Dr. Green..."

He looked to me, sheepishly.

"You're a fucking genius."