The little things in life

Rose's POV

Lonely nights like this I often stated up at the night sky. My pink wings being pushed back by the breeze, but I didn't let it stop my journey.

The grass was tall, today's earlier rain fell in drops slowly from each blades peak.

I was careful with my steps, so no water would fall upon me as my mother once told me long ago.

Before, before they abandoned me; cast me out from everybody else.

What was wrong with me? Why was I seen as something less? Was is because I couldn't fly? Possibly because the magic I should have just didn't seem there at all.

My feet buried into the mud, ruining my pink flats completely. The dress I was wearing wasn't in the best condition itself. It didn't keep my warm, and it certainly didn't keep me clean.

The Stars appeared to move about, I giggled realizing those aren't stars at all; just fireflies enjoying this peaceful night.

Thump, thump, thump. Was the padding of something bigger's footsteps. The swoosh of the grass, as it ran by, sending a harsh breeze my way.

I fell back, but I couldn't bring myself to get up. I was frozen in terror, as a German Shepard was face to face with me.

He was in a playful stance, obviously excited. Do dogs eat fairies? I've seen one eat a butterfly. But I've never heard of one eating a fairy, but it's truly something I don't want to figure out.

I needed to go now, but my body wasn't receiving the messages my brain was sending.

"Jack here boy! Did you find another firefly?" A charming loud male voice called, as the ground shook violently at the much heavier footsteps approaching.

Human, a human. Jack is likely his dog, his very big dog. I suddenly screech, finally able to run away from my immobile state.

A large Rose was before me, how ironic. It wasn't bloomed yet, obviously due to the night, but it was the perfect place to hide.

"Come now Jack, there's nothing here silly." The human laughed. But the dog barked, even though the human couldn't possibly understand what he was saying.

"Not a bug, a fairy John! A fairy! In the flower!" Jack barked, nudging the flower I resided in.

"Yes Jack it is a lovely flower, and I assume even more so when it's bloomed, but we must me heading home." John encouraged.

The dog barked again happily, as he plucked the stem and trotted along. Luckily the petals were comfy, because with the dogs erratic movements I could acquire a concussion.

What would a human do if they found a fairy? Dissect them? Harm them? Tear its wings off?

My heart was hurting, my vision growing weary and dark.

"Please don't hurt me," I whisper, as the red petals turned black.

John's POV

I smiled fondly as we walked home. Jack running around and in-between my legs with a flower in his mouth.

I didn't have the heart to take it from him, but I felt as if I could grow another with all the affection he brings.

Dogs are truly man's best friend, but there was still something missing. When I arrived at our small home, I took his special flower and put it in a vase.

"There you go Jack, it will have bloomed in the morning." I smile, ruffling his fur. Before drifting off to my room, to get some much deserved shut-eye. The sun shined brightly waking me from my peaceful slumber. Jack lay curled up at the end of the bed, his head resting on my ankles.