Be My World

"I still maintain this is your fault," Charlotte grumbles from her side of the holding cell at the East Hamptons Police Department. Ever since we were all arrested, Charlotte has segregated herself from the rest of us, throwing insults and shade at anyone that tried to talk to her. Currently, Brogan was the target of all Charlotte's frustrations. "You just had to hit him, didn't you?"

Brogan, to his credit, didn't bite back at anything Charlotte said to him. Hugo, who had been the previous target of Charlotte's wrath, was sulking in the corner of our joint cell, having been well and truly told off for daring to fight back with Charlotte. Both men were in everyone's bad books; their attitude and egos had landed us all in trouble with the cops and at this rate, no one would come of of this whole situation as friends. 

It all began yesterday morning when Jasmine announced that we were all going to spend the Fourth of July weekend at her father's East Hampton house. Having enlisted everyone's help in getting Hugo's spirits up, this weekend out of the city was an inspired idea. It also helped that Samuel was in town, and the Emma and Adam had finally come back from their three week long honeymoon. With enough of us up for a few days away from the Big Apple, all that was left to do was pack and jump into the cars and go. 

The drive up hadn't been all that bad. Jasmine drove, with myself, Samuel and Hugo as passengers. In the second car, Brogan was brave enough to drive with Charlotte shotgun and Emma and Adam smooching in the backseat. For the entire drive, Hugo kept wailing about how... Lucia- Lucille-Lucie?... had left him completely broken hearted. I tried to calm him down and tell him that there was plenty more fish in the sea, but Hugo was adamant that he'd had his great love. 

That attitude, of course, only lasted for however long Hugo was sober for. Once we arrived at Jasmine's father's house and the pre-drinks were flowing, Hugo's attitude to never falling in love again had totally changed and he was back to his playboy ways in minutes. The only question, however, was who would be on the receiving end of Hugo's advances. It wouldn't be me, on the account that Hugo knew better than to even try and flirt with me; our friendship had weathered many storms in the past but it would never withstand the whole from friends to more than friends thing. Emma was married now, so she was off limits all together. Jasmine was fair game, I suppose, but Jasmine would never ever go there with Hugo. That only left Charlotte.

Now, I would love to say that Charlotte wouldn't touch Hugo in a million years, especially if Brogan was around, but she and Hugo have history in only the way people with unfinished business ever could. Charlotte and Hugo were once a thing; they were far from officially dating but they spent a ridiculous amount of time together for people who weren't serious. It stems from the fact that Charlotte had always had a crush on Hugo and he loved being the centre of attention, but as they grew older, any hopes of them growing wiser were dashed. 

After the fifth drink, Hugo was in full flirting mood and was throwing every chat-up line in Charlotte's direction. Most of them, naturally, were in French and sounded equally ridiculous and enticing and for the briefest of moments, it looked as if Charlotte might fall for it all. I wasn't the only one worried about my sister falling into Hugo's arms because the second Hugo leaned in and tried to plant a kiss on Charlotte's lips, Brogan charged up at the pair and landed a swift right upper cut onto Hugo's jawline. 

From there, it all went to hell. The police turned up after a noise complaint from a neighbour and Brogan was arrested for assault. Seeing as Hugo had returned punch for punch, he was also arrested for assault. Jasmine and Samuel were arrested for public indecency, not that they were that indecent or in public. They were skinny dipping in the pool, which one of the neighbours thought was 'lewd.' Charlotte was detained for physically assaulting an officer of the law when she tried to grab one and stop them from detaining Brogan. Thinking it was time that I intervened, I tried to reason with the arresting officer, but when he refused outright to listen, I may have called him a 'twat.' In America, that's considered verbally assaulting a police officer. I'm not sure what Emma and Adam were arrested for, but they somehow wound up in the cell with us all.