Cursed

"And then," Sophie excited says, her hands once again flailing this way and that as she gesticulates wildly. 

She and I met Jenna and Elias for lunch over an hour ago so that we could catch up with them and hear all about their honeymoon but so far, all we've covered is a second-by-second account of how I took Sophie to See Harry Potter and The Cursed Child last night. If I had known that she wouldn't stop talking about the show, I probably wouldn't have taken her. As Sophie continues, I groan internally. Or at least, I thought I had, but from the way everyone now turns to look at me, I may have externally groaned as well. 

"Oh, I'm sorry," Sophie says, a glare in her eyes. "Am I boring you?"

I pick up my wine glass, partly because I need a drink, but mostly because I need time to figure out what the right response to that question is. "No." I think that's the correct answer. Turning back to Elias and Jenna, I set my glass down and try to veer the conversation away from the show. It's all I've heard about since Sophie and I came back last night and really, all I needed to know was that she enjoyed it and seeing it on stage was better than reading the play. "So, guys, how was the European jaunt? Did you both enjoy your honeymoon?"

With hindsight, once I saw the gushing look shared between the newlyweds, I should have let Sophie continue with her swooning over the show. I've heard the term 'smug married couples' before but seeing as no one within my group of friends were married, I never understood the saying. Now I do. Elias and Jenna are the definition of smug, married, and coupled. 

They gushed about how 'perfect' the honeymoon was and how getting married was the best decision that they had ever made and how happy they were. I didn't doubt that they were content but it bothered me the way they were so smug about it, telling Sophie and me that our wedding would be the happiest day ever and that we'd be extremely happy together... 

I already knew that without having someone that had been married for all of- what?- two weeks tell me that. If I wanted relationship advice, which I don't, I'd surely ask someone that's been married for more than fourteen days. 

"Do we have enough wine?" I whisper in Sophie's ear as Elias and Jenna drift off into a long, dreamy spiel about how much they enjoyed their trip to Venice.

"God, I hope not," Sophie says, earning herself a very confused look from yours truly. "If we don't have enough wine, one of us will have to slip out and get some more. And when I say 'one of us,' I mean me. I'll slip out and get some more. A lot more."

Thankfully, the harping on about Venice, Vienna, Valencia, and any other city beginning with the letter 'V', ended sooner rather than later. Quickly, the conversation turned to Sophie's house, with Jenna remarking that she was fond of the interior. I managed to conceal my eye roll when Elias commented on the green vase that was on the side table next to him, while Sophie politely thanked him before explaining that it was soon going to be shipped off to New York.

Jenna, knowing Sophie's obsession with clothes, was soon asking if she could see the legendary 'spare room' that she'd been hearing all about while they were in Paris just before Milan Fashion Week. The ladies made their way upstairs, leaving Elias and me to retreat to any other room that was free of vases. 

"That is one ugly green thing," Elias said, pulling a face as soon as the door of the kitchen was closed. We settled around the dining table, ignoring the fact that we could still hear the women laughing manically from upstairs. "So, how's it going? Living with Sophie, that is. Is it all you thought it would be?"

I smile at the mere mention of her name, just as I always do. Ever since Sophie came into my life, it's been impossible to hide from everyone just how much she means to me. I tried for a while back in April when we had that huge misunderstanding, but nothing fooled those that knew me well.