July 14th 2016

"Sophie Whitaker's phone."

"Well, I like the sound of that."

"I'm testing it out. Hang up and call me again."

"Why?"

"So I can test out how Sophie Courtenay sounds."

"I'm not hanging up just so I can phone you again."

"Why not?"

"Because that's stupid."

"But-"

"Hold on a second. Bring, bring. Bring, bring."

"What are you doing?"

"Calling you."

"Ah, ok."

"So... bring, bring. Bring, bring."

"Hello, Sophie Courtenay's phone."

"How did that sound?"

"Honestly?"

"Is the best policy."

"Didn't like it so much. What do you think? Whitaker or Courtenay?"

"Whichever you want."

"Whitaker."

"You know, after we marry, we're going to have to have a new Coat of Arms."

"What, why?"

"Because I'm not a fan of the one my dad had."

"..."

"Sophie?"

"Your dad?"

"Yeah, his Coat of Arms was horribly tacky."

"You called him 'dad.'"

"What?"

"Laurence. You just called him 'dad.'"

"Did I?"

"Yes, you did."

"Sorry. Evelyn refers to him as 'dad' so I must have picked it up from her."

"That's good, though, right?"

"I suppose. Anyway, the current Coat of Arms is horrible so you and I need a new one. I was thinking of using the one my grandfather had. It's the one I associate the most with the Duke of Kendal."

"That's your domain."

"Technically, it's our domain."

"Mhm, but you know more about it than I do. I wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to Coat of Arms, so you go ahead and choose whatever."

"We'll revert to the old one."

"Done."

"Now, your name."

"What about it?"

"On paper, you'll have to be Sophie Courtenay."

"But-"

"Wait, let me finish. Courtenay is my legal last name. I only use Whitaker because I hated being known as a Courtenay when I was a kid. Everyone expected me to be like my parents, so I decided to be known as Whitaker, instead. You can go down that route, too, if that's what you want."

"It is."

"Right. But as you'll be marrying a Duke, you'll be a Duchess."

"Your point?"

"You'll be Duchess of Kendal, that's all."

"And how often will I be expected to use that title?"

"Once in a blue moon. Only when we're in social circles and there's a typical hierarchy to the whole thing. Otherwise, it's a pretty redundant title."

"Basically, I can be Sophie Whitaker except when I have to be Duchess of Kendal?"

"In a nutshell, yeah."

"I can live with that."

"Yesterday, after our conversation and you went to call Samuel-"

"Literally on the phone long enough to tell him that I think he was making the right decision."

"You don't need to justify that to me. Plus, I already knew that. Samuel text me to tell me that you'd called him."

"He did? Why?"

"I don't know why. Anyway, I was talking to my grandmother about some of the properties on the estate that might make a nice starter home for us, and there are three that she thought might suit what we will need. I was thinking, when you're here in August, we could tour the estate and take a look around."

"Starting to re-think my decision to come home. Sounds like there's loads we need to sort out."

"Welcome to being an adult."

"Isn't it funny how, when we were kids all we wanted to be was grown up but now we're grown up all we want to be is kids?"

"The grass isn't always greener."

"You're telling me. Have you made any progress with finding an architect?"

"I thought you said you didn't want me to do anything like that until you were home?"

"I changed my mind. You can hire one and get plans drawn up, but nothing is set in stone until I get final approval."

"Great, because there's this one-"

"I knew it!"

"Knew what?"

"I knew you hadn't been listening when I told you to stop!"

"Good thing I wasn't listening, huh? So, I can tell our architect to keep drawing up plans?"

"Yeah, fine. Just keep it sensible. I'll email a list of requirements and-"

"It's ok. I have Pinterest."

"You know how my mother deleted that app from your phone?"

"Dark day, that was."

"I'll be doing the exact same when I get home in a few weeks time."

"God, it'll be like marrying your mother."

"Be nice."

"Never said that marrying your mother was a bad thing!"

"You never said it was a good thing, either."

"Is there a way for me to win this argument?"

"Nope."

"Email those ideas of yours and I'll pass them forward. I'll ask the architect firm to send copies of the plans to you for you to scrutinise."

"I don't scrutinise."

"You do."

"Meh."

"I'll get the plans to you somehow."

"Thanks, babe."

"No worries. Right, it's getting late and I am beat. Working only three days a week seriously takes it out of you! Good job tomorrow is Friday!"

"You sound way too excited that it's Friday tomorrow."

"Mhm!"

"In that case, off you go to bed and when you wake, it'll be the best day of your life."

"Not quie. That was the day I sprung you from jail and proposed to you."

"Ah, memories."

"I love you, Soph."

"Love you too, weirdo. Night, baboon."