November 8th 2016

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"No."

"Could you make yourself available?"

"For?"

"Afternoon sex."

"Yeah, I can be available for that."

"I was kidding. Good to know that you can change your schedule at the drop of a hat, though."

"Why?"

"Connie phoned and-"

"And she's blackmailing us to go and see her. Honestly, I disinvite her from the wedding once and she seems to think I need to make it up to her."

"You do need to make it up to her."

"I said that I was sorry. Then I reinvited her to the wedding. What's the problem?"

"The problem is that you hurt her feelings, Daniel. I don't think you understand just how much."

"It's not like I was seriously going to ban her from the wedding. Not really."

"Then don't say it. How would you feel if I told you that I didn't love you, huh? Only to then follow it up with, 'Ha ha, it was only a joke. Love you really.'"

"You do that anyway."

"Not the time to be a smartarse about it, Daniel. You don't have a lot of family and I'd hate to see you burn bridges with the ones around you."

"I have your family."

"My family is not your family."

"Yet."

"Nothing beats having your own family in your life. You know that my grandmother, Harlow, does my head in but I love her and I would never hurt her."

"..."

"Just think about that, ok? You may not have thought you were hurting Connie but she was very upset."

"..."

"Are you listening to me?!"

"Yes, I am."

"And?"

"I'll call Evelyn and have her clear my diary for tomorrow."

"Good."

"You know, at this rate, I may as well quit my job. I'm never actually at work."

"That's entirely up to you but tomorrow, we are going to see Connie. You understand?"

"Yep."

"Say it. Say that you understand."

"I understand."

"Glad to hear it. Oh, by the way, Lucas asked me to ask you to give him a call."

"Why couldn't he just text me?"

"How would I know?! I'm his sister, not his babysitter."

"Ok, I'll call him now."

"After you call Evie."

"Right. After I do that."

"I'll call Evie later to make sure that you've sorted that out."

"You don't trust me?"

"No."

"Smart move."

"I know."

"I love you, Sophie."

"Call your sister, then call my brother, and for God's sake, call your grandmother and let her know that we would be delighted to go and visit her tomorrow. Try to be enthusiastic about it. I'll see you later. Bye."