December 20th 2016

"Sophie, for crying out loud, tell your brother that he's not at the Nurburgring."

"Ok. -Luc, Daniel says that you're not at the Nurburgring.-"

<<What is that supposed to mean?>>

"It means he's driving too quick. I knew it was a huge mistake letting you go with him."

"He's fine."

"He's doing ninety miles an hour, Sophie. Twenty miles an hour over the limit."

"Apart from that, Lucas is a very safe driver."

"Well, tell him that he's carrying very precious cargo, please."

"Huh? There isn't a baby on board."

"You, Soph. You're the precious cargo."

"Oh. -Lucas, Daniel says that I'm precious cargo.-"

<<Sophie, tell Daniel that he's being a twat.>>

"Daniel, you're being a twat."

"Thank you, Sophie. Also, thank you, Lucas, for his very astute description."

"Was there anything else you wanted?"

"Just make sure your brother gets you to Amesbury in one piece, ok? It's bad enough we've had to change our plans once but I don't fancy a detour to Accident and Emergency, thank you very much."

"You worry too much."

"I worry just enough. By the way-"

"Why are you suddenly whispering?"

"Because Charlotte and Fletch are in the car. Now, I definitely think there's something going on between them."

"Oh? Your proof being?"

"The look."

"What look."

"The look. You know, the one you give someone when you want to rip their clothes off."

"Oh, that look. I'm guessing if they're still passing that look around then nothing has happened between them."

"Your proof being?"

"Fletch would lose interest because he sleeps around and Charlotte would lose interest because she knows better than to get wrapped up in a situation like that."

"What if she doesn't know better?"

"My sister has become terribly sensible as of late, therefore, she is too wise to attach herself to Fletch in a meaningful way."

"Most women who sleep with him usually find it hard to move on."

"Charlotte won't."

"Sounds like Charlotte may give Fletch a run for his money in the heartless stakes."

"She's not heartless. She's cautious."

"Whatever. Something is going on. I'm willing to bet my house on it."

"Our house. And there will be no betting our house on anything. Am I clear?"

"Clear."

"Good."

"Sophie?"

"Yeah?"

"Lucas is not doing ninety-five miles an hour. Tell him to slow down."

"Yes, Dad."

"Do you want me to get Jimmy to pass the message on? I totally can, you know."

"I'm sure but that won't be necessary."

"Oh, I think it is. -Jimmy, tell your eldest daughter to tell your son to slow down.-"

<<Sophie!>>

"-Lucas, Dad is telling you to slow down.-"

<<Ok, but only because it's Dad asking and not Daniel.>>

"So he listens to your father but not to me?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

"Good to know. Does that also work on you?"

"No. I'm too stubborn to listen to anyone."

"Shame."

"Oh! -Lucas, services! Let's stop for coffee.-"

"Sophie, no. There's no time for coffee."

"Course there is. You can keep going if you want, but we are stopping for coffee."

"I knew someone sensible should have gone with you two."

"It's rather insulting that you don't consider Lucas and me to be sensible."

"You're not."

"Boo! Anyway, we're stopping now. Up to you if you want to join us. Otherwise, we'll see you in Amesbury in an hour."

"Soph-"

"Bye!"