August 1st 2016

It's August! That means we only have four more months to go! Super scary

If you haven't already done so, go check out Echo's story, because it'll help make sense of Saturday's chapter here. You can find it through my profile. 

"Hey, Daniel?"

"Hey, Daniel?"

"Yes, Sophie?"

"What religion are you?"

"What?"

"What religion are you?"

"Does it matter?"

"Not really, no."

"Then why are you asking?"

"God, you're not a Scientologist, are you?"

"I'm Protestant. Not that it matters."

"I'm thinking of becoming a Buddhist."

"A Buddhist?"

"Everything seems so much simpler if you're a Buddhist."

"Soph, have you heard of the Noble Eightfold Path?"

"The what?"

"It's a way of life in order for you to understand the Four Noble Truths."

"That what?"

"Well, clearly, you've done a lot of research on your new religion."

"..."

"The Noble Eightfold Path means that you will have to know and understand the Four Noble Truths. You'll have to give up all worldly things, you have to tell the truth and not gossip, you cannot commit evil acts... uh, what else?"

"..."

"Promote goodness and oppose evil, do rewarding work, control your senses and meditate."

"..."

"Are you rethinking your decision?"

"Kinda."

"For what reason?"

"For the 'not allowed to gossip' reason."

"Yeah, you would make a terrible Buddhist."

"Mhm. Best stick with being Irish Catholic, then."

"You're a terrible Irish Catholic, too."

"I am not!"

"I went to Church with you, Soph. I saw you try to give... what's his name? The Vicar?"

"First of all, he's a Priest, not a Vicar. And his name is Father McGuire."

"Right, I saw how you tried to give Father McGuire a heart attack with your shockable ways. I also distinctly remember you saying, 'I hate Church,' and you said 'fuck' in the same sentence as when you mentioned your crucifix necklace. You're a terrible Irish Catholic."

"Maybe I should be an atheist, like my mother."

"Your mother is an atheist?"

"Mhm. She's French. France is a secular country, which is not to say that there aren't any religious people, it's just that my maternal family isn't particularly affiliated with any."

"Yet, Camille married an Irish Catholic."

"Hey, you love who you love."

"Wait, she was at Church at Easter, and wasn't she wearing a cross too?"

"She only does that because Dad does it. Given the choice, she wouldn't step foot inside a Church. She thinks the Catholic Church is corrupt."

"Really?"

"Yep. Just don't tell Harlow that. As far as my grandmother is concerned, Mum is a practicing Catholic."

"Haha. How does she keep the pretense up?"

"My father is an enabler. Mum goes to Church at Easter, Christmas, and any other important occasion."

"I cannot believe that, in all these years, Harlow hasn't twigged yet.'

"Or maybe she has but hasn't said anything."

"Perhaps. Any news on how Echo's thing went on Saturday?"

"Nope. Everyone is quiet on that front. It's not like Echo would tell us anyway. I text her, but all she replied with was, 'Red, backless dress! Pain!' So, I don't think I'm her favourite person right now.'

"I would hate to be you on Saturday."

"Me too. You'll still love me if Echo does shave off my eyebrows, right?"

"..."

"I hate you."

"Love you too, Soph."

"Go to Hell."

"See you there!"

"I'm hanging up now. Good bye, Whitaker."

"Laters, Clément."