Fletch

"You're doing it wrong," the whiny witch said, and not for the first time, either. Heaving out a long sigh, I stop sticking the bats to the wall and look down at the woman who has been supervising my decorating abilities for the past fifteen minutes. "They need to be higher up."

"They will be," I say impatiently. Motioning to the black shapes that are already on the wall, I say, "We're starting low and then as we near the corner, the bats fly higher."

Sophie Clément, I've decided, is irritating as fuck. I've tried to understand why Daniel is marrying her, but for the life of me, I just don't get the attraction. She's opinionated and she nags way too much, and she has this weird scowling thing going on with her face. Pretty sure she only broke that out for me, but it's really fucking infuriating. 

What's worse than the scowling, though, is the way she seems to think she's superior to me. She's so hoity-toity. Ever since I arrived a quarter of an hour ago, Sophie's been bossing me around like this is my first time at the rodeo. Well, sweetheart, it isn't. Surprisingly, I'm a fucking pro at decorating for Halloween. I mean, I did my planning on Pinterest, so I think I've got this thing sussed. The midget just needs to sit the hell down and leave me to do it. In silence, preferably. 

"You're still doing it wrong," was all she said as I turned my back on her, took a deep breath and promptly chose to ignore her for as long as possible. "Hey, Kangaroo Boy! You're doing it wrong."

"Sophie, shut the fuck up." The words slipped out of my mouth without passing through the filter in my brain, but to be fair, that's how I function. 

Being from a bogan family back in Australia, I spoke my mind and screw anyone that didn't like my honesty. From the way that Sophie gasped, I don't think she's ever had people call her out on her bullshit, but it's about time she gets used to it because if there's one thing I don't do, it's to compromise my opinion to suit other people. 

"You're an animal," Sophie mutters, her words laced with venom that could give a Black Widow spider a run for its money.

"Yeah, a kangaroo, apparently."

When Daniel called and asked me to help get his house sorted for the Halloween party tonight, I was more than up for the challenge. I mean, I'm a party animal and I know how to throw an epic evening of fun, games and utter madness. I'd readily agreed to Dan's request and quickly started to think up ideas, but then I got blindsided last night when Sophie text me, letting me know that she and I had to work together to get the place ready.

Knowing Sophie doesn't like me, I was half tempted to call Dan up and tell him that I was no longer available today to help. An emergency had occurred and I'd been called in to work. It would have worked; with my job, if I wasn't on shift, there was a real possibility that I could be called in and get held up for hours. Still, I resisted the urge. I don't let my friends down. Even if that means having to spend a huge portion of my day with Dan's psycho fiancée.

"You're-"

"I am not doing it wrong!" I say, going into full defence mode now. Hopping off the ladder, I inspect my handiwork and see that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I point to the flying bats and turn to Sophie with a glare in my eyes. "What's wrong with it, huh? Nothing!"

 "What's wrong with it, huh? Nothing!"