July 21st 2016

"Hey, is it ok if the surveyors come tomorrow to take a look at the house?"

"Yeah, sure. Actually surprised you hadn't done that already."

"I was tempted, but I never got around to calling them."

"Aren't you supposed to have the surveyors out first and then consult an architect about plans?"

"I figured that was simply a guideline. Anyway, it's being done tomorrow before the whole contract thing goes through. I said that we'd sign in early August when you're back. That's ok, right?"

"Of course. The sooner we buy the house, the sooner we can start turning it into our home."

"..."

"You ok?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was just reading up on some case notes before I go to court tomorrow."

"You're going to court?"

"Yep."

"I thought you were a dab hand at settling things out of court."

"Usually, I am, but this one soon-to-be ex-wife is making things very difficult. Honestly, I've been going through this folder for months and no matter what offer is put on the table, the woman won't take it."

"That bad, huh?"

"The worst. The woman is delusional. She seems to think she needs an annual payment of fifty million so she can continue to live the lifestyle to which she has become accustomed to."

"Excuse me, how much?!"

"Fifty, with six zeros after it."

"What does she spend that much cash on in one year?!"

"Houses, holidays, clothes, accessories, health and beauty, cars, gifts, and entertainment."

"And all that adds up to fifty million a year?"

"According to the wife, yes."

"No. Nah. Nu huh. No chance. Not even Jasmine could spend that much cash in a year and trust me, she knows all the expensive stuff."

<<Talking shit about me again, boss?>>

"-Most definitely. Hey, could you spend fifty million pounds a year on houses, holidays, fashion, health and beauty, cars, gifts and entertainment?-"

<<If I put my  mind to it, yeah. Maybe. I mean, I'd have to buy a new house every year, trade in all my cars, only shop Couture, have the most expensive personal trainer in the world, buy every child in Cali a Christmas gift, have VIP tickets to every show in town and only holiday in the most exclusive places in the world, but yeah. It's doable. You wouldn't get much change out of fifty million dollars.>>

"-Pounds. Fifty million pounds, not dollars.-"

<<Oh, in that case... you might get some change out of the budget. Why, are you offering me the biggest pay rise in the history of pay rises?>>

"-No.-"

<<Shame.>> 

"Anyway, I need to come up with a payoff that both parties would be happy with."

"Sucks to be you, then."

"Tell me about it. If only... No! Never mind. I'm not going down that route."

"What route?"

"The 'playing dirty' route."

"You could."

"I'm not that type of lawyer."

"I know. You'll figure it out, Daniel. You always do."

"Mm. Maybe not this time."

"You will."

"Yeah."

"You're still reading over the file, aren't you?"

"Sorry? Oh. Yeah, I am."

"In that case, go ahead. I won't keep you any longer. You can tell me all about it tomorrow after the court appearance."

"Sophie?"

"Yeah?"

"You're amazing, you know that?"

"Because I'm letting you go work late into the evening?"

"No, because you're amazing."

"You're not so bad yourself, Whitaker."

"I know."

"You were just fishing for a compliment, weren't you?"

"Never."

"Haha. If you say so. Night, Daniel."

"Night, Soph. Love you."

"Love you too."