December 2nd 2016

"Sophie, why is your mother texting me asking where we're spending Christmas?"

"Because I told her to."

"I thought we agreed that we were going to the country house for Christmas."

"We did."

"And you couldn't tell Camille this because...?"

"Because she'd get mad and I don't like it when Mum is angry with me."

"But you're ok with her being angry at me?"

"Totally."

"..."

"She likes you."

"She likes you, too."

"No, she loves me. That doesn't mean she likes me."

"Soph, she's your mother. She likes you."

"She won't after I tell her about going to Wiltshire for Christmas. She's going to freak out."

"I told you we could invite your family. We have plenty of room."

"But I want to wake up Christmas morning and it just be you and me for a while. I don't want to worry about waking up and having to entertain my family."

"They can stay in the main house with Connie, then."

"..."

"Connie won't mind. In fact, I know she'd love to host them. Plus, Samuel gets along with Lucas and Charlotte, and I'm sure Emma and Adam will tolerate him enough until they learn to like him."

"I suppose."

"Look at it this way- your family will be coming up to Wiltshire a few days after Christmas to help set up for the wedding, so it's not like an extra three or four nights is going to change anything."

"..."

"I'll tell Camille what you and I are doing and then I'll invite them to stay with Connie if she gets really French about the whole thing."

"Really French about the whole thing?"

"Mhm. The French are always overreacting about stuff and then they talk really fast and make lots of hand gestures and it gets crazy."

"How will you know if she becomes French, though?"

"Typically, it's by the way she switches from English to French and typing in caps lock."

"My mum texts you in English?"

"Usually."

"Why? I've been teaching you loads of French words!"

"You taught me to say stuff like 'une pipe', 'un petit coup rapide', and 'On ne va faire que s'embrasser toute la soirée, ou on peut baiser maintenant?'! None of that is appropriate for when I'm texting your mother."

"I don't know. She might like to hear you say, 'Will we just hug and kiss all night, or can we finally screw?'"

"Doubtful, Soph. Doubtful."

"Give her a few glasses of wine and she might be saying that to you!"

"Not funny, Sophie."

"I think it is."

"Shut up."

"Haha, ok. But seriously, I've taught you enough French that you can hold a conversation with her."

"A face-to-face conversation about the weather or the travel disruptions, yes. I don't know enough to be able to talk to her about our Christmas plans or invite her to Wiltshire for the holidays."

"If in doubt, go Franglais."

"What the hell is that?"

"Français and Anglais. French and English."

"An example, please?"

"Of Franglais?"

"Yes."

"Um, ok... un fuck-friend."

"You had to go dirty, didn't you?"

"I try. Um, 'un rugbyman' is Franglais. Oh, one of my favourites! Un pompom girl."

"Cheerleader?"

"Yep."

"Franglais is weird."

"Don't you just love it?!"

"No. I'll stick to either English or French, not a combination of both."

"Your loss."

"It's no one's loss."

"Says you, you Franglaisphobe."

"That's not a word."

"In Franglais, it is."

"No, it's not. You're just making words up."

"That's kinda what Franglais is, Daniel."

"..."

"..."

"I'm going to text your mother now."

"Good luck with that."

"Thanks. And good luck to you, too."

"For what?"

"Explaining to your mother where we're spending Christmas."

"But you just said that you were going to text her."

"I am. I'm going to tell her to text you."

"But-"

"Bye, Sophie. Good luck. I love you! Bye!"

[Call ended.]