Today Was a Fairytale

Jimmy Delaney

"Stop looking so sad," Camille whispered in my ear as we posed for post-wedding photographs

"Stop looking so sad," Camille whispered in my ear as we posed for post-wedding photographs. "She didn't die, she just got married. Now smile for the photos."

I tried my best to look as happy as I could but despite Camille's words, I felt as if a part of me was missing as I watched Sophie and Daniel pose as the newly announced Mr and Mrs Whitaker. Unlike when Emma married, seeing Sophie become someone's wife was a wholly different ball game.

Despite being the eldest, Sophie had always been the one needing the most protection. Outwardly, she seemed confident and as if nothing ever bothered her but to those of us who had seen her at her lowest, she was nothing like the person she pretended to be. She was prone to bottling her emotions up inside, burying them in the deepest, darkest parts of her soul, never to be seen again. Only a very special person would be able to heal those wounds other had inflicted upon her. From the vows Sophie had written, Daniel was just that person.

"Hey, Dad," Sophie's voice carried to me as she wrapped her arms around my waist and guided me towards the orangery. It had been just over an hour since she and her new husband exchanged rings and said 'I do' and the reception would be beginning soon. I watched as the family that had gathered for the group photographs walked ahead of us, leaving my daughter and me to trail behind them. "Are you ok? You look a little down."

I kissed her forehead as we walked side by side. "I'm just a little sad," I admitted. "Where did the years go, Sophiekins? It was only yesterday that you grasped my index finger in your tiny hands and opened your eyes to the world. Now look at you. You're married."

As if to prove a point that she was still my little girl, Sophie dropped her arm from my waist and grasped my index finger with her hand. I didn't even try to hide the smile that stretched across my face as we caught up with everyone else. Parents should never have favourites but if someone asked me right this second which of my children I loved the most, it would be Sophie.

The cocktail hour was wrapping up while the evening guests arrived in time for the reception. The bride and groom circulated the room, as did the rest of the immediate family, thanking as many people as we could for coming. Most of the day guests were family and I made sure to speak to Camille's side of the family.

The French and I had a strained relationship; ever since Camille and I eloped, her family have hated me and the fact that my family are religious where hers are not has been a source of contention. When the children were younger, Camille and I weighed the pros and cons of sending them to a religious school as well as the Lycée Francais in London but ultimately decided that neither school was the right fit. The fact that we had looked into a French education didn't seem to matter to Jacqueline because she was stuck on the religious element of the other school, regardless of the fact that they didn't attend there.

Honestly, it was a minefield. But they were my in-laws and you have to get along with them. First, I approached the Wicked Witch, or La Sorcière Méchant, as I liked to call the Monster-in-law.