August 31st 2016

"What did you hear?"

"The sound of your voice."

"With Samuel, Daniel. Do try to keep up."

"What did you hear?"

"Not a lot. Jasmine doesn't do happy when it comes to relationships. Or if she does, she doesn't tell me."

"Did she tell you anything about the proposal?"

"I'll quote her- 'He asked. I said yes.'"

"Haha, that sounds like my dearest sister-in-law to be."

"Holy shit!"

"What?"

"She's going to be my sister-in-law, too!"

"Yes, she is."

"Not sure how I feel about that."

"You're not happy?"

"I am, but... you and Jasmine fight all the time and that'll just get exhausting and if I had to choose between you two, I'll probably choose wine."

"Wine wasn't an option."

"When my only other options either you or her, then wine is most definitely an option."

"Thanks, I feel loved."

"As you should. If I didn't love you, I'd have chosen Jasmine. Not the point, though. What did Samuel say about the proposal?"

"Well, the reason Samuel came over to New York a few weeks ago is so that he could meet Jasmine's father and ask for permission-"

"He asked for her dad's permission? How did she feel about that?"

"Fine? Why?"

"No, nothing. Just, they have a strained relationship, that's all."

"I think she was ok with it. Samuel didn't say otherwise, so I just assume. Um, what else? Oh, right. Samuel invited Jasmine here- by the way, did you know he calls her Jas?"

"I did know that. She calls him Sam. Did you know that?"

"I did. It winds me up, though. His name is Samuel. Jasmine came here and they stayed with Connie. Then on Sunday, Samuel took her out on the lake for the day. Surprisingly it was sunny and warm. Apparently, Samuel read Pride and Prejudice aloud to Jasmine and then, as the sun set, he precariously got down on one knee in the boat and popped the big question."

"..."

"Soph, you there?"

"Yeah. Just thinking, that's all. The proposal sounds romantic."

"More romantic than mine?! Not possible."

"Haha. Yours was definitely more romantic."

"I know it was. I'm quite sure of that."

"Yeah?"

"What girl doesn't want a I-just-bailed-you-from-jail proposal?!"

"Exactly!"

"I think Samuel's proposal was just so cliché, you know. How many women could say that they had the proposal that you experienced?"

"None."

"I think we win the Battle of the Proposals."

"Oh, we most definitely do."

"Hey, Soph?"

"Yeah?"

"Check your email tomorrow, ok? I'm sending you the final plans from the architect for the house and Connie wants me to send you pictures of the family church. When she heard that we were getting married there, she insisted on making plans. You ok with that?"

"Even if I wasn't, I would still smile and agree."

"But you're ok with it?"

"Of course, I am. To be honest, Daniel, and I know this is going to sound really bad, but I don't particularly care about the wedding. It's the marriage I'm focusing more on. We could literally go down to City Hall and marry there, just so long as I can spend the rest of my life with you."

"Well, I'm sold on that idea."

"City Hall?"

"I'd marry you there tomorrow in a heartbeat."

"And deprive Connie, Jasmine, and Camille the joys of planning our big day?! How dare you take that from them, Daniel!"

"Haha, ok. New Year's Eve it is."

"Hey, how is Connie managing to plan our wedding as well as the fundraiser?"

"She delegates. She has Samuel curating the fundraiser, Camille drawing up the guest list and I've been tasked with finalising the menu. Which reminds me, I need to send that to you, too. I'm no good with French food, so you need to 'ok' it all."

"Send me everything and I'll work my way through it all."

"You're a Godsend, Soph."

"I know I am. Oh, Jasmine's back. I need to go and ask her about the whole lake thing. She'll hate me but I don't care."

"Just don't let her kill you, ok?"

"Duh. I love you, Daniel."

"I love you, too, Sophie."