It's Christmas

"Did you know, this will be my last Christmas as Sophie Delaney?" My beautiful fiancée notes as she adjusts the length of her red dress

"Did you know, this will be my last Christmas as Sophie Delaney?" My beautiful fiancée notes as she adjusts the length of her red dress. When it sits as Sophie wants it to, she smiles at her reflection in the mirror and then turns to grin at me. "Not that I'm complaining."

"Good," I say, giving one firm nod. "Because in less than a week's time, you're going to be Sophie Whitaker."

Having discussed the family name situation, my immediate family had agreed that a change in name would be desirable. For as long as we can remember, the titleholders of the Duke of Kendal had always been Courtenay, and while for many the name had brought luck, for the most part, it was a tainted name. A name which we were more than glad to see the back of. After some to and fro, we settled on utilising Whitaker as the new family name, a move that had been made official shortly before the civil service closed for the festive season. 

"I like the sound of that," Sophie muses. Slowly, she makes her way over to the armchair where I'm sat and places herself on my knee, her arm snaking around my neck. "You know, this time last year, if anyone had told me that I'd be engaged to the man of my dreams, I would have told them that they were fucking crazy."

I laugh, throwing my head back. "Fucking crazy, huh?" Sobering up, I nuzzle my nose in the crook of Sophie's neck and plant a kiss on her soft skin. "I guess it's amazing what can happen in a year. Maybe by Christmas twenty-seventeen, we'll have a baby."

"Maybe," Sophie smiles, leaning in to kiss my lips. "In the meantime, we have to survive Christmas twenty-sixteen and that is a task in itself. Let's go and see if everyone is still alive."

Christmas Day with my family is almost always formal with everyone expected to dress 'appropriately' for dinner at one pm sharp. After the five-course lunch, we all change into more casual clothing after which we gather to open gifts before scuttling off to do our own thing. 'Our own thing' used to involve Samuel running off down the village pub while I would drive back to London to spend the evening with friends, leaving Connie on her own. On the rare occasions that my Laurence and Veronica were around, we wouldn't even get to the gift exchanging before Laurence had passed out drunk and Veronica had disappeared to meet whichever toy boy she was hiding in one of the cottages on the estate.