When In Rome... Or Milan, Even.

I sat, jaw slack, as I tried to process the words that Jenna and Elias had excitedly said. For the briefest of seconds I thought that the duo were winding Daniel and I up, but as soon as Jenna thrust her hand under my nose, diamond ring glittering in the light, I knew for definite that their announcement was true.

"You're married?!" Daniel bellowed, and not in that I'm-So-Fricking-Happy-For-You! tone of voice. Oh, no. This was Daniel at his angriest, face puce and fists clenched. He stood from the chair and forced his hands into the pockets of his jeans. To be fair, that was probably the safest place for his knuckles to be, otherwise, he would have punched Elias clean on the jaw. Sucking in a long breath, he turned his attention to Jenna. "I hope you're taking the piss. Please, tell me that this... marriage-" it's impossible to describe how bitter those words sounded. "-is a joke. It's not legal. It can't be. No, there is no way you two got married without me there. And especially without Nola there. No, this is a joke."

Unfortunately, I was inclined to believe Elias and Jenna, if only because Jenna had that glow about her and nothing that Daniel said seemed to sour the newlywed mood that hung in the air. Even as Daniel accused them of faking the whole thing, the smiles never faulted. The googly eyes were still very much present, too, and the sickly sweet way they stared at each other made me feel uncomfortable in their presence. It was just a matter of time before they jumped on each other, I could tell.

"There has got to be some laws about getting married in Italy," Daniel continued his rant, trying to find every rational reason that this was allowed to happen. "Aha, paperwork! There has to be paperwork involved."

"It's all been taken care of," Jenna smiles, gazing down at the ring that adorns her ring finger.

"Doubtful," Daniel waves his hand in dismissal. "All his paperwork takes time and it takes both parties knowing about the upcoming marriage. Seeing as you two weren't even engaged beforehand means that it is-"

"But we were engaged," Jenna once again beams. "Elias asked me a few weeks ago and I said yes."

This time, Daniel's rage shifts its focus from Elias and Jenna and find a new target- me. Swallowing nervously, I try to avert my gaze, finding the vase of flowers on the side table fascinating. Pink and blue flowers go really well together and that vase is simply gorgeous. I wonder if the name of the company is inscribed on the bottom. Mum would love something similar for Christmas, surely. If not, I'm almost certain Connie would. Maybe I should get one for Evie, too.

"This is your fault!" Ah, there it is. The accusations coming in my direction now. Without wanting to, I force myself to incline my head ever so slightly so that I'm almost facing Daniel, but not really. "You put them up to this. I knew it. I knew it would end in disaster. Before you know it, they'll have broken up and fighting over which of them gets to hire me as their divorce lawyer! Just to be clear," he says, turning to the couple that is stood in front of him, barely containing their eye rolls. "I'm representing Jenna."

At this, Elias loses his cool. Having sat there as a passive observer, Daniel's latest remark was one too far and he was about to retaliate. Like a car crash that you know you should watch but can't really help it, I watch as Elias advances on Daniel, index finger extended and pointing at Daniel. "That's enough," he says in a raised voice that takes me by surprise. I've never heard Elias shout before, at least, not like this. His voice is authoritarian and commands your full attention as well as your respect. "Never once have I made comments about your relationship with Sophie, so what gives you the right to make comments about mine and Jenna's?"

Daniel's eyes narrow, but somewhat sensibly, he keeps quiet.

"Jenna and I were always going to be the end game, no matter what," Elias says passionately. Instantly, Jenna swoons at his words and a part of me may have swooned with her. "This has been years in the making and you should be happy for us, Dan. Yes, I fucked up, but are you really one to talk? Need I remind you about the hell you put Sophie through back in April?"