James Buchanan 'Bucky' Barnes x Former test subject! Former HYDRA! Reader

You were a former test subject of HYDRA. They had tested you for powers. You didn't have any before they started. After you were now a massively intelligent. High IQ. You always wanted to be smart but by your own work not by some horrific test. When they saw it did nothing they would try again and again and again. You had escaped when you had used your intellect. You and Bucky had found each other again. You never killed anyone. He had. He had changed through the years you had lost each other.

Jolting awake. You had flashed back through the pain that HYDRA. They would add more serum when they thought it hadn't worked. You now worked for S.H.I.E.L.D planning missions, working on what could go wrong. You rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Noting you couldn't you moved to the kitchen for a hot chocolate.

Walking past Bucky's room, you peaked in and saw he was for once sleeping peacefully. Arriving at the kitchen, you saw Steve was there as well. "Can't sleep?" He glanced at you but didn't answer. "What's your problem why don't you like me?" You knew why but you wanted him to admit it. "You're HYDRA."

"I was never HYDRA." You spat. "But Bucky was." You added calmly. Steve's face twisted. And suddenly you wanted this conversation to have occurred with Natasha present. She understood the way you felt. She knew what it was like to be controlled by others. "Bucky....."

"Was HYDRA. Before he met you again."

"Bucky didn't want to."

"No Bucky had no choice. Just like I had no choice with the tests. We had no choice with what happened with us. You did. You choose to be a super soldier. You choose to be this. We didn't. BUT WE CHOOSE TO FOLLOW YOU." You hadn't noticed but your conversation had drawn the attention of all the avengers and Bucky and Loki. Loki was smirking he always loved it when the avengers fought. Thor just looked confused. He thought of you as a little sister and wanted to kill the men responsible for your pain. Natasha knew what was going on and was ready to jump to your defence. Bucky however couldn't understand why Steve was acting like this. "We all have traumas. We all get nightmares. And we all have someone here who understands at least a little about what we went through. Bucky, Natasha, Clint and I all know what it's like to be controlled by others for their own agenda. You had a choice we didn't. And you weren't controlled you made your own decisions." Steve seemed to understand this. The others seemed to agree with you. Bucky moved to stand by you. "Bucky and I help each other through the nightmares, through the flashbacks and everything else we get from our past. So please quit judging me because I associated with HYDRA." Steve noticed the audience. "I'm sorry. I didn't realise that you helped each other."

"Accepted." You shock his hand. "If anyone needs me I'll be sleeping. Or trying to anyway." Moving past them you walked to your room. Settling in bed. The door opened and Bucky walked in. "You okay, doll?"

"Yea, I'm sorry. I know he's your friend." Bucky sat on the side of your bed. "Don't be." He moved closer. "Thanks for keeping my nightmares away." He kissed you deeply. You pulled away, your lips hovering over his. "Thanks for being my hope, James". You kissed him once more.