~Chapter 8~

Blue over baby blue, red over pink, green over yellow the colors to paint amazing pictures. I finished drawing out a sketch on the canvas after what feels like 3 hours. I was finally ready for the paint. I had sketched out a bedroom with the same layout of the one given to me by Shane. I took out the bars and drew in a girl staring out the window with a smile. I needed to make it perfect and in order to do that, I needed a picture of just that. I sighed standing up. I turned around to go face to face with Shane.

“How long have you been standing there?” I asked.

“For 40 minutes. I couldn’t help myself. Every time I went to stay something you got more into the painting and you smiled. It’s great that it actually calms you down. Probably made you forget why you were here.” He said. I look down. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Can I get my cell phone back?” I asked. I kept my eyes on the ground.

“Lola I can’t give you your phone. One because its locked away and two because I am not allowing you to use it to try and run.” He said. I looked up at him.

“Have you learned nothing today? If I wanted to leave I would have tried. I wouldn’t have gotten far but I would have tried. I needed it to help me with my picture. I needed an actual picture. And I need to talk to my best friend If she doesn’t hear from me soon she’ll think that I- That something happened to me.” I corrected. My heart was pounding from almost spilling a deep secret to someone who can’t even trust me.

“You what?” He asked.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“You corrected yourself on what you were going to say.” He said. I turned around and walked up to the paints.

“Just forget I asked,” I said grabbing a black. I heard him sigh.

“Will it help if I give you a camera?” He asked. I looked at him.

“But I would need to develop them,” I said. He smiled. He walks to a door in the room that I never noticed before.

“My mother's idea of not having to spend so much money. Not that it was ever a problem.” He said opening the door. The room was red. We both walked in it. It wasn’t so big. We had to be a little more closely than I actually liked. I looked up at a picture hanging. It was Shane with a girl. His back was towards me so he didn’t notice. In the picture, he was smiling. The girl was on his shoulders. They were in the gym. I smiled looking at it. He was happy. The picture was snatched for me. I looked at Shane his anger was back. “Forget what you saw.” He said. I swallowed the lump in my throat and walked out. What had I done this time?

I pick up the canvas and put it on the canvas holder. I packed up the pencils and grabbed my shoes putting them back on. I walk out and head for my room down the hall. When I get there I sigh laying back on the bed. My bedroom door opens and Shane walks through it. I get up and turn away from him. “Why do you always get so angry with me?” I asked. I heard his footsteps but then they stopped. I could tell he was close.

“I didn’t mean to yell at you. I just didn’t realize my mom took those.” He said. I sucked in a breath of air.

“Who was she?” I asked.

“The one girl who took my breath away. Her beauty brighter than any I’ve ever met.” He said. I couldn’t help but get jealous. “Her name was Hallie Grey. She was my sister.” He said. I felt foolish. Was? I turned to him.

“Was?” I asked. His eyes were cold.

“She went into the gym one night. Everyone was asleep beside one. John Black. One of my men. She loved him and he loved her. Or at least he pretended to. He used her because he knew she was my weakness. He kidnapped her. He wanted my father’s money. Just a $1000. But father said he wasn’t spending a cent on a child that wasn’t his. Midnight flew by and she was murdered. The next day her body was left at our front porch.” He said.

“So that’s your reason for not wanting me in the gym?” I said. He looked at me.

“My men gut people. Cut them for the fun of it. Abuse them to feel a thrill. Some are capable of rap. They’re completely ruthless. I do not want you anywhere near them until they learn to keep there animal under control.” He said. I took a step back.

“You’re like them? Aren’t you? Deep down underneath.” I said.

“Not so deep down. More like on the surface. I can control it.” He said.