~Chapter 18~

We headed back to the house. Sat in the car trying to not get annoyed by the silence. I sigh. My mind races back to earlier. “You ok? You keep sighing.” Shane says. I look at him.

“Earlier your mother said something,” I said. He sighed this time. He pulled onto a dirt road that led to a cliff. We soon parked. He turned to me.

“My mother is crazy Lola. Anything she said may be wrong.” He said.

“She didn’t seem crazy. Just hyper.” I argued. He rolled his eyes.

“Don’t get your hopes up.” He said.

“Shane she said my mother killed my father,” I said. He looked at me. “Luna is my mother,” I said.

“Let’s get you back to the house.” He said. I dropped it. He pulled out back on the main road and drove to the house. I got out of the car and went to the art studio. I go in the printing room to check on the photos.

“Ugh, you’re annoying.” I heard.

“Gosh like I care.” A guy said. I walk back out in the room to see Freya and Derek arguing.

“Ugh wait until I tell Shane how you treated me,” Freya said crossing her arms.

“What? I kept you safe and feed you. You should be grateful I even did that.” Derek said.

“You wouldn’t let me out of the room for the life of me.” She said.

“Exactly. For the life of you. Protecting you.” He said.

“I don’t want your protection. I just want you and Shane to get out of mine and Lola’s life.” She said.

“Gladly, as soon as she has his kid.” He said. She glared at him.

“She won’t do it. Having a baby she might but expecting her to walk away from a child. She has too good of a heart.” She said. Did he tell her?

“She will if she cares about Shane.” He said.

“It’s a good thing she can’t stand to be in the same room as either of you.” She said.

“Oh, I don’t think that’s true. Those two are getting pretty close.” He said.

“Read my lips bird brain. Lola will not walk away from her child or any child. She has too good of a heart. Unlike you, she actually has a heart.” She said.

“Read my lips sasquatch. She doesn’t have a choice.” He said.

“Derek!” I heard. He turned to the person behind him.

“Shane? When did you get back.” He asked.

“A few minutes ago. I had to talk to my father for a second. I came in here to look for Lola.” He said. I ducked back in the printing room.

“She’s not in here.” He said. Shane goes to walk in here but stops.

“Right. I forgot she said she had to take a shower.” He lied. Freya and Derek nodded. “Get her some new clothes and let her use your shower. After which you take her home unless she chooses to stay the night. Then she will sleep in your room. If she leaves your room without you then I’m holding you accountable for whatever will happen to her.” Shane said. Derek nodded and grabbed Freya. Then they were gone. “Eavesdropping doesn’t suit you well.” I heard. I walk out.

“I’m sorry,” I said. He rolls his eyes.

“To be fair they were in your area.” He said. I smiled tucking my hair behind my ear. “What’s that?” He asked looking at the picture in my hand. I look at it. It was the one of him smiling. I smiled. He took it from me. “You took this?” He asked. I nodded.

“I like it,” I said. He looked at me. “You’re actually smiling,” I said. He sets it down.

“I smile.” He said. I place my hand on my hip.

“Oh yeah and I’m a cat,” I said.

“I do smile.” He said. I smiled. Then did. He smiled.

“OK, you do,” I said grabbing paint. He smiled and walked out.