~Chapter 15~

“Everyone who gives him a child is fine. But if they don’t give him one they die. Your father made the same promise. He gave him a boy. Two weeks later the boy died from a sickness. My father really didn’t want you involved. But he made a deal with my uncle that if you and I have a child they were off the hook. I figured since your father died before he could tell you any of this that I would have one with you. That way you weren’t being killed for not giving him a child.” He said. I looked at my hands.

“I won’t give him a child Shane,” I said.

“Lola-.” I looked at him.

“NO, you said he destroyed James. Imagine what he can do to our child. I won’t do it.” I said. He grew angry.

“You will do as you’re told.” He said. I shook my head. “It’s either this or my father’s going to kill you. You choose but that leaves me in the mud. He gave me until I’m 20 to give him a child. I have no other choice.” He said. I didn’t want him to die. I looked at the camera. I walked inside the printing room. I took out the film. “Do you know how?” He asked. I looked up at him.

“No,” I said. He grabbed my hand and showed me. His lips lingered by my ear.

“Whatever you choose I will protect you until my last breath.” He said. I looked at him. He was so close but felt so far away.

“Shane!” Derek called out from the art room. I looked down.

“Continue with this. I have to go talk to him.” He said. He nodded. Then he did the unexpected. He placed a kiss to my cheek. With his footsteps leaving me I slumped down in the stool. I picked up the read picture and hung it up. The picture looked great with him smiling.

“You’re starting to care for him aren’t you?” Freya asked. I kept my eyes on the picture.

“His life is so different than mine. He lost his sister to an enemy, his mom went crazy, his brother was raised by a crazy person, his father sold his first kid. All this family conflict and he’s still the sanest person I know. His smile brings out the light in his eyes. He has hope for a better life yet chooses darkness.” I said.

“Sounds like he trusts you.” She said. I looked at her.

“Yet I have given him no reason to trust me,” I said. She smiled.

“You can start by trusting him. Tell him what happened with James.” She said. My heart began to race. “Tell him about your mom.” She said. I took a deep breath.

“Do you mind waiting here with Derek?” I asked. She glared at me.

“He is so childish. I hate it. But because I love you I will.” She said. I smiled.

“Thanks,” I said walking out.

“No problem.” She said. Shane stopped what he was staying to Derek and looked at me.

“Is there something wrong?” He asked. He looked worried.

“Actually no. But I was wondering if we could go somewhere?” I said. He sucked in a breath of air and nodded.

“Derek watch Freya closely. Bring her to your room. If any of the guys see her they may try something.” Shane said. Derek nodded but gave Freya a dirty look. “Hey, you show her respect,” Shane said. Derek nodded again. I walked up to the sink and washed my hands. Forgetting about the paper towel I groan. Shane walks up to me. “Maria!” Shane said while drying my hands off. Maria walks in.

“Yes, sir?” She said.

“Get some paper towel in here, please. A lot of it. And fill my bathroom up with towels.” He said. She nodded.

“Right away sir. Do you need another shirt?” She asked. He looked at her.

“It’s water. It will dry.” He said. She nodded.

“Ma’am, would you like anything?” She asked me.

“Just call me Lola and no thank you. That’s my friend Freya.” I said. I pointed to her. Freya smiled.

“Hello.” She said. Shane tensed up behind me.

“I rather she calls you ma’am.” He said in my ear. I looked at him.

“I hate being called ma’am and I hate calling people ma’am or sir. It makes them have power over you which I do not have any power of her. She may work for you but I ask I don’t demand. We’re all human I like acting like it.” I said. Maria looked surprised.