5.5 Not A Smart Scholar

"..."

"...an..."

"...Yuan..."

"... Xiao Yuan!"

Lang Yuan slowly opened his eyes. The gentle shake on his shoulders woke him up. His mind is still in daze, blinking his eyes a couple of times to remove the dried dirt on the sides of his eyes. Both of his arms are dead, numb from staying in position for so long. Drool pooled over on his right arm and to the book that he used as a pillow when he fell asleep.

The gentle shake on his shoulders became a pat. He spun the office chair slightly while scratching his nape seeing a taller boy that has the same complexion. One hand reached for the circular glasses and wore it to enhance his blurry sight. A worried face of an older person occupied his view.

"Xiao Yuan, if you want to sleep, sleep in your bed. You will get cold if you sleep here," a gentle voice came from the older person. Lang Yuan only made a tired smile.

"I'm okay, Lan-ge. I just fell asleep. I still have homework to do," Lang Yuan muttered in an almost whispering voice. The person named Lan caressed his back gently.

"You're overworking yourself again. You only slept for two hours yesterday. How about you sleep today and I will help you with your homework tomorrow?"

"Don't bother, Ge-ge. You have to work until morning, right? I don't want you to help me and sacrifice your sleeping hours. I can still do it. I only needed to finish a few pages and I'm done. I already taken a nap. I'm ready to continue working again."

Lan do not want to argue and reluctantly nodded. He just patted his little brother's shoulder and naughtily shuffled the already messy hair. Lang Yuan playfully pushed his brother away. Lan evaded with a chuckle.

"Okay, I won't argue."

Lang Yuan watched Lan walk to the room where the boys are sleeping and went out with a bag on his shoulders. He followed Lan up to the front door where Lan sat down on the elevated floor to wear his shoes. Lang Yuan leaned on the wall with a yawn. Lan stood up with a hop and checked if his old shoes is well and still kicking.

"Oh? And here I thought this shoes is already beyond repair," Lan said as he checked out some new stitches on the vamp of the shoes. Lang Yuan only shrugged.

"Who else could have mended it? None other than your beloved Xiao Yuan," Lang Yuan said proudly.

Lan only chuckled and shuffled the young boy's hair again. He knows that Lang Yuan isn't really the boastful type. But the first twenty minutes after waking up shows a bold little brother, as if the courage to speak happens when his mind is still not clear. This bold Lang Yuan is fun to tease with because he would always answers back cunningly.

"Okay, okay, my cute little brother mended it," Lan said. He wore the bag on his back and headed to the door. Lang Yuan only watched him from his position.

"Xiao Jun texted me that he's already on his way. Since you're up, watch your little sisters and brothers for a while. If you want to sleep, make sure to lock the doors and windows. Don't let any strangers in. Mom and dad still have duties and will be coming home in the morning."

"Copy," Lang Yuan yawned. "No need to worry."

Lan opened the door and left. Lang Yuan lazily stayed on his position before walking towards the door and locked it. Each of the family members has a spare key so nobody is worried of locking anyone out. He returned to his desk where the drool-soaked book is still open with a few notebooks and pens scattered on the table. He looks up on the clock and reads the time.