6.3 The Empress's Rite

The tea tastes like dirt.

Lang Yuan wanted to spit the liquid out from his system. But it would be rude to concubine number three, named Sun Shuang, who served the tea to the Empress Dowager and to the Empress Candidate. The Empress Dowager accepted the tea and drank it gracefully. Lang Yuan wanted to puke his lunch out more. How can the Lady drink such a drink?

Even without poison, anyone would drop dead after drinking that murky tea.

So to avoid any unnecessary complains, Lang Yuan pretended to be drinking. He saw the Empress dowager lowering her cup so he followed. The Lady carefully placed the glass cup to the tea plate before looking up to Lang Yuan. Lang Yuan unintentionally locked eyes with the lady and awkwardly smile.

Lang Yuan: Ahahaha, somebody pull me out of here please.

"How is the tea?" The lady asked. "It's the best tea made in the court."

Wtf? That is the best tea made in the court? Sugar in water still tasted better than that! But Lang Yuan did nothing but to nod. Kang QuiYue noticed the hidden frown of the youth. Sun Shuang returned to give another refill to the cups, giving Lang Yuan wild glances. It is as if she's showing a talent that should be praised by a thousand of gods.

"Would the Empress Candidate want to eat some confectionaries?" Sun Shuang asked.

"Ah, don't bothe-"

"This is freshly made by yours truly," Sun Shuang chuckled lightly. "Lady Kang, have a piece."

Kang QuiYue accepted the offer of the concubine. Sun Shuang sliced a piece from the chocolate covered cake and placed it in a small plate. She served the plate to the Empress Dowager before the Empress Candidate. Sun Shuang waited for Kang QuiYue to start eating the first bite.

"Impressive," the Empress Dowager said. "Ah-Shuang, what a sweet child. Your food making is still the best."

"This humble concubine is thanking the Lady for the praise," Sun Shuang bowed.

What? So this is also good? Lang Yuan thought. So after the dowager ate her piece, Lang Yuan followed. It's just that the moment the supposed to be chocolate cake touch his tongue, the taste almost massacred his taste buds that he can almost feel himself numb.

Lang Yuan chocked on the food. He did not do it on purpose; it is just that he can no longer take the taste. The Empress Dowager quickly helped Lang Yuan giving him the closest drink that she can find. She handed the tea Lang Yuan despises the most, earning another fit of coughing from the youth.

"Wa... water please..." Lang Yuan asked.

Kang QuiYue ordered the nearest maid to bring her water ASAP. She kept on massaging the back of Lang Yuan to ease the coughing. She wondered, the tea and the cake they ate came from the same plate. Even the utensils used are brought out from his cupboard. There should be no poison knowing how sharp a dragon sense can be. Maybe Lang Yuan can't take the food of the higher realm?

Lang Yuan almost gobbled up the water drinking five large glasses in total. He wanted to clean his tongue, sterilized it from the taste of the bomb cake and dirt tea. Kang QuiYue wiped off the beads of sweat coming from his head.

"Are you feeling alright? Was it hard to breathe?" The Empress Dowager asked.

"This servant is all right, your highness," Lang Yuan said.

"Just call me Lady Kang. You are now part of the family. Treat me as your mother and your sisters gently."

"Y-yes, your hi-... Yes, Lady Kang."