10.1 A Song To Your Heart

Lang Yuan surprised his music teacher when he was able to play the minuet after seeing his teacher playing it once. The music teacher then played some common variations like Mozart's twelve variations of Ah vous dirai-je, maman, A Little Night Music, Beethovens Fur Elise, and Ode to Joy. Lang Yuan only needed to know the tones the keys could make and copied it without a flaw.

After the piano, they tried the violin. Instead of letting him copy, the teacher taught him the chords and the movements, what this string could make and the angle of the bow. Lang Yuan learned it quickly playing each cord one by one. He was asked to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star by looking at the music sheet. The teacher is satisfied and happy to have a talented student.

But the surprise did not end there. Lang Yuan asked if it is possible to play the music that he was fiddling with the piano earlier. The teacher said yes, telling him that the arrangement would be different to match the note. That's all what Lang Yuan needed to know before he started playing, translating the notes directly from the piano to violin. The music teacher almost fainted, unbelieving.

Though, Lang Yuan never attended the music class. He was an outsider and other kids are jealous at him and drove him away. But before he left that class, Lang Yuan learned to play all the instruments inside that music class with a professional skill. If ever he wanted to touch a music instrument again, he only needed to remember and start playing.

It's not an exaggeration to say that his ability to play is superb.

His brothers often say that his dyslexia is maybe a blessing in disguise. Lang Yuan can't read properly but when it comes to non-letters like numbers and music notes, he can easily distinguish it to the point of just skimming through it is enough. His inability to read letters is maybe the God's way of making him incomplete because he is too perfect to become human.

Right now, the three figures stepped out from the open door connected by a wooden bridge towards a large gazebo. The gazebo is surrounded by a wide lotus pond surrounded by the high mountains. There are various animals living in the pond like the normal fishes, frogs, and dragonflies. Some of the palace workers tending the place cupped their hands when they saw the royalty using the place. JiDan waved his hands to the workers as they floated on their boats cleaning the pond.

JiDan happily jumped up and ran here and there, his childish side enjoying the view. He would crouch down in one corner to look at the fishes on the water, or try to catch the orange dragonfly resting on a lotus pod. He almost falls down to the water if only Lang Yuan did not catch his collar. He smiled up to his mother and promised to behave. He is now sitting down to the corner letting his legs hang while talking to the workers.

"How large is the palace? How can you have a pond in here?" Lang Yuan asked, looking at the wide scenery.

"This pond is connected to the waterways from the mountains. When it rains, the water flows down and stays," Zhong Song simply answered.

Lang Yuan nodded, understanding the answer. To call this a pond, isn't it appropriate to name it as water shed?

When they arrived at the gazebo, a few men are facing their backs tuning the zithers. When they heard the royalty coming, the men quickly kneeled down and bowed to greet. Zhong Song waved his hand and the men sat up. He motioned Lang Yuan to sit on his legs, a position that can makes him face the zither instrument in front of him.

"These are the masters from the music school. They will teach you to play any zither instruments," Zhong Song said. "This is Senior Lao, he will be the one to supervise you."

"Thank you for the honor, Senior Lao," Lang Yuan bowed.

"This humble servant is the one who is honored to teach the Empress Candidate," the old man said,