6.2 The Empress's Rite

The Empress Dowager plus the concubines are residing on the western part of the palace where most of the females live. In reality, no males are allowed to enter this place. Aside from the emperor and some of the generals, only the maids and eunuchs can pass through. Even generals are not allowed any entrance unless it is an important occasion or if there's any danger.

(A/N: Eunuchs are no longer considered as 'man', right? I've read it somewhere that no man is allowed to enter the palace aside from the high-ranking people - meaning that those who still have their reproductive organ intact are called men. And eunuchs can enter the palace once they are castrated. I might be wrong though. Just correct it.)

To think about it... is even Lang Yuan allowed to stay here?

"The Emperor has arrived!"

The women already know about the arrival of the Emperor. Actually, the procession should be done yesterday. Everyone is prepared to welcome the emperor until a messenger came to tell them that the Empress Candidate experienced some issues. The empress dowager knows that a human cannot simply enter the higher realms without the mark and is aware of this predicament. But the concubines think the otherwise.

They think that the empress candidate is monopolizing the emperor.

Whenever any of them got sick or eaten poison from palace's schemes, the emperor will only send them medicine. There are times that he will visit for the sake of formality. Yu XueQin will only ask their health with the royal physician. Other than that would be pure business. After all, nobody needed a weak and sickly Empress. She must show a very good health for the sake of the kingdom and to give healthy princes to the emperor.

And yet this Empress Candidate made the Emperor change a schedule just because he got a human sickness?

(A/N: Just because they are from the higher realms they don't know how vital a sickness can be to humans. Also, dragons have their regeneration stuff so they rarely got sick.)

The ladies are arranged in their ranks and position. The Empress Dowager, Yu XueQin's birth mother, is sitting in an elevated platform above everyone. The concubines are on the either side, counting from one to twenty. One can see how beautiful the women are. Especially when they worn their best gowns, spreading out on the floor like flower petals. The maids who are staying on the sidelines can see how magnificent this setting is.

The eunuch that announced the emperor's arrival led the way towards the empress dowager and bowed lowly. The eunuch then left to the sides to join his fellow companions watching the procession going. Emperor Yu XueQin first came into view marching through the silent halls like brave soldier.

Seeing their leader like this, none of the women can't help but to blush. Emperor Yu XueQin is such a sight. One look and you can see how formed his muscles are behind those dragon robes. His stoic and cold attitude only gave off a cool effect of one that is strict but gentle on the inside. Though, the emperor they saw today is different.

Yu XueQin is smiling from ear to ear like a clown. Even the empress dowager is surprised!

"My Lady," Yu XueQin bowed with respect to his elder. "We have brought the Empress Candidate as per requested."

"Your Highness, please rise." The empress dowager, Kang QuiYue, said.

The concubines bowed while kneeling. They did not expect to see a refreshing looking emperor today. Yu XueQin examined the figures of the concubines and counted them one by one. These ladies has been on his harem for the last thousand years. Yet, Yu XueQin did not feel any connection to them.

"My Lady, We would like to introduce the Empress Candidate."

All the women tried peeking to see who this human is. At first, they smelled a somewhat sweet scent of roses yet not too strong to be evident. There is also that mild scent of spicy herbs, and lavender. The mixture of scent is peculiar they thought they smelled a bouquet of flowers. What they did not know is Lang Yuan's concept of applying fabric conditioner. And where he got it? He made it himself.