9.2 The Calm Before The Storm

"A contest of talents... and mother is assigned to...perform a musical instrument and... read a poem for the guests."

When he thought that he finally escaped the trials, now it came back. Zhong Song attended to him later apologizing about his negligence. The scholar even dragged Kun Shao to bring Lang Yuan flowers of recovery even though he knows that the youth is already fine. He insisted to bring Lang Yuan to the Secret garden where Kun Shao stays.

And would the gardener refuse him? Of course, no ah, he can't. The gardener is too introverted to refuse and just let the scholar drag him off.

So, the group of four created a mini picnic on the secret garden. The location was completely hidden from the main road and most of the foliage is covering the little lawn. A small shabby house was erected unto the corner. The house is a small hut with stone roof crept with green plants and visible roots, the white walls turned yellowish-brown with random plants growing and bugs crawling in every direction. Thick hair of vines draped down like a curtain covered the front of the house almost hiding the essense of a house.

Though, no matter how 'jungle-ly' the outside appearance it has, the house is comfortably warm from the inside. Kun Shao is living alone so a house with two rooms - one for the bedroom and one for the bathroom - with the kitchen and the living room joined in one is big enough for him. There are only a few chairs on the small table and the living room only has a low table with a few scrolls on the side. A shelf filled with books and scriptures about magical plants and medical herbs can also be found.

There are also little pots of scented herbs parked on his windowsills that welcome a fresh scent coming from the outside. And on the back door would be his gardening materials: a pail, shovels, cutters, and unused pots.

This is Kun Shao's humble home.

The lawn in front of his house is huge enough to fit five carriages. Lang Yuan thought that maybe Kun Shao knows about Bermuda grasses and let them grow on the always-moistened soil. Zhong Song already prepared a table and brought it in advance to the lawn... or skeptically speaking, he already brought it before whenever he decides to visit the hermit.

There are brewing tools and cups of tea. Kun Shao doesnt have such luxury and would only use wooden cups. But since Zhong Song often stays in this place, the scholar voluntarily brought in a set for himself with tea leaves in small boxes. Now, Zhong Song belongings can already be found in some corner inside the shabby house.

"Ju Laosi, I never thought this kind of place existed before," Lang Yuan said. The place was well hidden, very close to nature. He remembered that secluded place behind the building where he often studies on his free time.

"I'm so happy that you like it ah. Actually, Kun Shao is really stingy and would not let me stay in this place. And who do you think is the master between us?" Zhong Song complained.

Zhong Song is around the garden with JiDan. The boy was excited and would follow the gardener around. Of course, Kun Shao was a bit scared. JiDan is the emperor's son! He should pay respect! JiDan will watch him closely as Kun Shao removes some weeds from the plants. This only made the poor hermit anxious. What's more, that Zhong Song is actually badmouthing this cute cinnamon roll in front of the Empress Candidate ba!

Lang Yuan only chuckled. He was brewing tea. Zhong Song was not yet able to taste Lang Yuan's tea to which he heard tasted different from the infamous Sun Shuang. JiDan noticed his mother working over the small kettle and rushed towards him ignoring the trembling gardener behind. He wanted to watch Lang Yuan brew. No, he always wanted to watch Lang Yuan every time.

"So, I am here to explain all the details of this final trial," Zhong Song said. JiDan sat beside him, enjoying the fire warming the kettle. "It was a bit of a headache but it was my fault so there's nothing that I can do."